cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CW V10.1/DEMOJM on Windows 7.0

Jump to solution
MWMinor
Contributor V

I'm trying to run through the Lab exercises which I received as part of the DEMOJM development kit I have just purchased.

I already had CodeWarrior V10.1 installed on my laptop which is running WIndows 7 and is a 64 bit machine.

The Lab 1 and Lab 2 exercises went OK - they use programmes already on the MCU - but Lab3 has been a real head ache.,

I made it through to importing the CDC class project in the code warrior environment, and it even complied loaded and seemed to run ok - but you are instructed to load the device driver (HC9S08.JMxx.inf) but my laptop refuses to see it ...!

Could it be this driver is only good for 32-bit machines..?

Is there a 64 bit version available and are there going to be more gotchas down-stream...?

thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Ok, I can confirm that the issue on my side is the a hardware defect on the board.

I was able to move the CPU to my other DEMOJM board, and I'm able to connect there.

So either you have the same issue on your side (damaged board), or it is something different.

Sorry.

BK

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

yes, the original .inf files were really problematic and not working for 64bit machines.

There were posts in this forum on this subject.

You might check the information in

http://mcuoneclipse.wordpress.com/2012/03/15/usb-cdc-reloaded/

which is using CDC for the JM parts (with Processor Expert) and generates a unified .inf file for both 32bit and 64bit machines.

Hope this helps,

BK

0 Kudos
MWMinor
Contributor V

Hi BK

I tried looking at the link you sent, and working through the article it seemed like I was getting somewhere, then I seem to have lost the ability to programme the MCU

I can still "see" the devices from the Devices and Printers screen,  but when I try to go into the debug screen with Code Warrior  - the code tells me the power needs to be recycled and that the MCU is not responding.

I'm banging my head against a wall here - any suggestions as to where I start looking....?

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello MW Minor,

that message means that it does not respond to the P&E Multilink. I assume you are using the embedded P&E multilink on the board? You need to power cycle the CPU (with the multilink still on). As it is on the board, you cannot simply power cycle the board while you are asked to do this.

the solution is that you just un-power the CPU only. Check the schematics of the board. Just 'north' of the CPU there is a jumper which you can remove to unpower the CPU (when asked by the P&E multilink).

Hope this helps,

BK

0 Kudos
MWMinor
Contributor V

Hi BK

Thanks for the response, but unforunately it didn't work.

Checked the schematics (J24 is the link) and tried several times but I can't re-establish the link.

It was working ok yesterday - I'm really concerned that I may have corrupted "something" when trying to insert the code from the link you gave me.

Maybe I should un-instal; codewarrior and re-install..???

Getting desperate now...!

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Could you check that you *really* are debugging a JM128 project? It happend to me as well that I was trying to download code for another core/target, and then that dialog shows up too (as it is not able to talk to the right CPU.

Otherwise: could you post a screenshot?

Background information: if that dialog pops up, the debugger tries to hold down the reset pin through the debug cable at power-on reset to ensure that the CPU does not run. This to prevent the CPU to crash and completely loose communication.

Re-installing CW is not the cure in my view. Except if you would switch to 10.2: I know that many things have been improved, and it might be that you see an issue with 10.1 (but again: I don't think that's the issue)

Hope this helps,

BK

0 Kudos
MWMinor
Contributor V

Hi BK

Still getting no where.

In desperation I did try re-installing - now running 10.2 - and I thought it had fixed the problem - but alas no.

Screen shot attached

BTW Project is a JM60 not JM128

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

ok, I see that you are indeed debugging the S08JM60.

If you see the 'Power Cycle Dialog':

1) remove the jumper

2) install the jumper again

3) press the OK button in the dialog

I think you did this, but just wanted to make sure.

The next thing you could try is to power the board with the barrel connector (move J3 to REG_VDD)

BK

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

ok, I think I have now the same issue you are seeing :smileysad:.

Interestingly it fails to connect both with the onboard P&E Multilink and an external one (I have soldered the BDM header on my board) with MCU10.2 (did not try with 10.1).

I tried to connect to the board using MCU6.3 (the non eclipse version) using the onboard P&E, and this failed too.

But when I did it with an external Multilink, then it worked!?!

It looks to me that there is some kind of difference in the P&E DLL/firmware.

Do you have an external USB Multilink with MCU6.3 you could try?

I'll see if I can reproduce things in the office on Monday, so I can report this to P&E.

BK

0 Kudos
MWMinor
Contributor V

Hi BK

It certainly helps to know that I'm not the only one seeing the problem, although it's still frustrating that I can't make progress with the development.

I'm afraid I don't have an extrernal USB Multilink and the only PC and laptop I have are 64-bit machines running either Vista (desktop) and Windows7 (this laptop). I know that the version 6.3 of Code Warrior doesn't run on these platforms - that was my first issue, so I'll have to wait for you to get back to me I guess.

Thanks for your support

MW

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello MW,

it could be that my issue is a different one. I just noticed that somehow I have smoked the embedded P&E Multilink on the board. Saw this when I have inspected the board. That U1009 is not part of the schematics, so must be part of the P&E multilink. That might be the reason why the embedded multilink is not working any more for me.

No clue how and when this happend.

I'll contact P&E. But you might as well inspect your board if this could be the same thing for you?

BK

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Ok, I can confirm that the issue on my side is the a hardware defect on the board.

I was able to move the CPU to my other DEMOJM board, and I'm able to connect there.

So either you have the same issue on your side (damaged board), or it is something different.

Sorry.

BK

0 Kudos
MWMinor
Contributor V

Hi BK

Thanks for getting back to me again.

Whilst waiting, I took the opportunity yesterday of arranging for a replacement DEMOJM board from the disti here in the UK. I wasn't happy with that oh-so-familiar smell the old board had - usually found when something has been "smoked" - sounds like an experience you can relate to...and this one had it straight from the box.

The replacement board appears to be working at the moment - so maybe the fault this end was hardware too...??

Proceeding with caution - will let you know how things pan out.

Thanks again for the support.

MW

0 Kudos