Code size difference CW 10.7 versus classic CW

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Code size difference CW 10.7 versus classic CW

jaymoskowitz
Contributor I

I imported my HSC08 project from the Classic Code Warrior to the Eclipse version of CW (10.7). I rebuilt the entire project and compared the resultant maps. What I found is the v10.7 R section is $5A bytes larger than in the classic version, the R/W section is the same size and the Init section is one byte lower in v10.7 than it was in the classic version.

Any comments on the difference in code size?

Is v10.7 not generating as optimized code as the CW classic that it would have added 90 decimal byte to my code size? Is there a setting in v10.7 that sets different levels of optimization? As far as the smaller Init section, perhaps v10.7 reused a byte that the classic version did not optimize as well? Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

jaymoskowitz
Contributor I

I would have thought in retiring CW Classic for the HSC08 processor and forcing a move to the Eclipse version 10.x, that would generate code as least as good as the Classic version. But the Eclipse version does not seem to be as optimized as the code generation of the Classic version.

Are there settings in the Eclipse version which controls the level of optimization that is used in generating code?

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Jay,

You work with HCS08 device. for the same project, the generated code size is different for different version of CW, it's normal.Because from old version to new, it fixes many defects and sometimes add new feature of compiler tool itself, thus we can't expect the generated code size is same, even the compiler setting is the same.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos