Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codewarrior Eclipse - Can't write application "xyz.elf"

Jump to solution
gaminn
Contributor IV

Hello,

after 10 to 30 minutes of work on my project in Codewarrior Eclipse, I get error Can't write application "xyz.elf" when building the project. I "solve" my problem by creating new project and copying all files to it. But after 10 minutes (for example, I make some updates in main.c and I run debugger for 3 times or so), I get the same error.

Codewarrior version I use:

CodeWarrior Development Studio
Version: 1.0.0 Build Id: b15_2105-A22 
(c) Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. 2010. All rights reserved.Learn more about CodeWarrior athttp://www.freescale.com/codewarrior
Installed Products: - CodeWarrior for MCU Version: 10.1 Build Id:110204

I debug with USBDM v 4.5, my MCU is MCF51QE128.

OS: Window 7 Ultimate, 64bit, all projects are stored in my personal folder/Documents/Codewarrior

Thank you

Martin Dusek

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Martin,

I tried out USBDM V4.6 (current version) with a WIN-7 64bit  professional system and it appeared quite stable.  I could not get it to misbehave. (Same version of Codewarrior).

The only problem I experienced was that USBDM might pop up a problem dialog behind the Codewarrior IDE.  This would cause the debugger to freeze until the dialogue was brought to the front and closed - The pop-up did appear in the task bar at the bottom of the screen.  This would only occur if the target crashed or was interferred with e.g. Watchdog timeout, manually resetting the target or disconnecting the BDM from the target.

I tried the above with a small program and MCF51QE96 and a larger (MQX) program using another target.

You can try updating to the current version but this is unlikely to make much difference since I don't believe there are any relevent changes that affected the Coldfire targets.

bye

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Martin,

The error message is indicating that the 'elf' file is in use by some other task - almost certainly the debugger.  This should not be occurring since the file should be released when the debugging session completes.

This may indicate a bug in USBDM although I have not experienced this (perhaps because I haven't used it with Win7-64bit sufficiently). I'll do some more testing and see if I can get this to occur.

As a temporary work-around for when it occurs you can kill the task DE.exe in the Windows Task Manager which is the background task for the debugger.  If the debugger is responsible for the problem this should (rather drastically!) fix it.

Can I check if the previous debugging session is ending correctly?

bye

0 Kudos
gaminn
Contributor IV

Dear pgo,

debugging session crashes quite often (when launching it, it freezes on, say, 70 %), I have to kill CodeWarrior and launch it again. But DE.exe reamins launched.

Sometimes, debugging session also crashes while debugging (like "debugger lost connection to target"). I launch debugging again but "Can't write application" error appears. Sometimes...

The solution is like you say - to kill DE.exe . Thank you!

Martin

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Martin,

I tried out USBDM V4.6 (current version) with a WIN-7 64bit  professional system and it appeared quite stable.  I could not get it to misbehave. (Same version of Codewarrior).

The only problem I experienced was that USBDM might pop up a problem dialog behind the Codewarrior IDE.  This would cause the debugger to freeze until the dialogue was brought to the front and closed - The pop-up did appear in the task bar at the bottom of the screen.  This would only occur if the target crashed or was interferred with e.g. Watchdog timeout, manually resetting the target or disconnecting the BDM from the target.

I tried the above with a small program and MCF51QE96 and a larger (MQX) program using another target.

You can try updating to the current version but this is unlikely to make much difference since I don't believe there are any relevent changes that affected the Coldfire targets.

bye

0 Kudos
gaminn
Contributor IV

Yes, you are right. The "crashes" were caused by the popup dialog (mainly overload of USBDM in my case) behind Codewarrior.

Eveything works fine, only I'm stupid :smileyhappy:

Martin

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Martin,

I wouldn't call that stupid!

The dialogue appearing behind the IDE is a bug in USBDM but unfortunately I don't know of a solution.

bye

0 Kudos