cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CodeWarrior for Palm OS 5 (TRE)

DJWACO
Contributor I
Hello,

I would like to know what is the CW Development Tool I need to develop applications for the TREO handsets (Palm OS 5.X).

Please let me know if I can download an evaluation copy ?

Thanks

DJ
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

ECGman
Contributor I
CodeWarrior Development Studio for Palm OS v.9.3 is still for sale through your web site.  It indicates that no support is available, and I've run into that already, during my attempt to convert a v8.0 generation project to v9.3 format (as yet unsucessfully).

Currently, it appears that the compiler/linker are not including everything required, as I get the FatalAlert message "MemoryMgr.c, Line 4340, NULL handle" when attempting to run the app on the Palm device.  The error require the device to be reset.

Does anyone out there know the tricks of converting apps to v9.3, or have any insight into this problem?  This was supposed to be a simple maintenance fix for an existing product which, unfortunately, was developed by an outside contractor who is no longer available to support the app.
0 Kudos

marc_paquette
Contributor V
About your first problem: What happens when you attempt to convert 8.0 project to the 9.3? What error messages does the IDE issue when opening the 8.0 project?

About your second problem: The linker will issue error messages if it can't find something that your program refers to. But the error you refer to occurs at runtime. It seems that your program is attempting to pass a NULL pointer to some memory manager function in Palm OS.

Googling "MemoryMgr.c Line 4340" gives over a hundred hits--obviously other Palm OS developers have encountered the same programming problem.

I hope this helps.

Marc.
0 Kudos

ECGman
Contributor I

Thank you for your reply.

For the conversion, the IDE produces a 'Convert Project" dialog which says

"Project 'Preview.mcp' needs to be converted.  Some target settings need to be updated to the current version.

"Some preference panels have changed and the target settings need to be updated to the new format.  The project will be backed up as 'Preview.old.mcp'.  Do you want to convert the project?

Answering "OK" performs the conversion.  Afterwards, compilation is not successful until the C/C++ language Prefix file is set to PalmOS_Headers and the Palm OS Suppost and CW for Palm OS Support paths are added to System Access Paths.  The target wass changed to Palm OS 68K, and the post linker setting cleared, as suggested by the documentation.

The project uses a '.rsrc' file provided as part of the older project.  Attempts manipulate, regenerate or otherwise force the resource to be included as a link component do not appear to have been successful.  The new project compiles to approximately 26K while the old project is approximatley 40K.

I will Google additional information on the Palm device error message, as well.

Thanks again for your reply and your patience.  As a CW/Palm newbie, this has been frustrating.

0 Kudos

marc_paquette
Contributor V

Your new, converted project might not have a setting to recognize and correctly invoke the right tool to process resource files. If this is the case, it might also explain the NULL pointer error at runtime.

Compare the File Mappings settings in your old and new projects. Specifically, make sure the entry for resource files is the same.

Let me know if this helps.

Marc.

0 Kudos

ECGman2
Contributor I
I was finally able to get the proejct to build successfully (posted originally as ECGman; corporate identity has changed, rendering old email invalid).  Your comments and suggestions helped, insofar as they made me examine the project and how it was being converted.

Now,.after some time, I'm faced with a new puzzler.  The project I built works on all the older 'hundreds' series Palm devices, but hangs the Zire 71, requiring a soft reset to resume normal operation.  The Zire 71 is the latest Palm device issued with this particular program.  Previous versions (those built by an outside consultant) work with the Zire 71, but nothing I've found so far allows my builds to work.  The lockup on the Zire 71 occurs during program code that communicates through the serial port with the attached device the program is suppossed to configure.  The program runs correctly under the standard emulator, which does not appear to offer a Zire 71 model mode.  The Zire 71 simulator complains about a timeout during serial communications with the attached device during the configuration steps.  The complaint doesn't result in the lockup, but doesn't offer much help as to the root cause.

Since the program works on the m100 - m715 devices, I'm worndering if there is something I need to add to the project to allow function of the serial communications functions

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos

marc_paquette
Contributor V
Freescale no longer develops or markets CodeWarrior tools for Palm OS.

See the Palm web site for more information on Palm OS tools:

Marc.
0 Kudos