cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to CodeWarrior and microcontrollers

Nav
Contributor I
Hello everyone,
I am very much interested in Embedded systems and microcontrollers. But i do not know how to start!

I have a Motorola M68DEMO908GB60 demo board and the CodeWarrior software. Did read up the tutorial available on this website. I would say i have a good proficiency in C, C++.

Needed help on going about interfacing the Demo kit to the computer( have been supplied with a DB8 serial cable). Also needed help on the Instruction set and coding.... wanted to start off compiling small programs, loading them onto the flash memory and such.

Very much a kid lost in the woods, please help. Thnx:smileyhappy:

Nav

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

surinder
Contributor I
Hi,

Have patience.

probably there will something already writen to the mcu on the board. read the manual and test that first.
then install Codewarrior and open the source code files supplied with the CD. build the project and get the binary downloaded via serial cable to the mcu.
You need rs232/DB9 serial port on your computer for this.
hc08 microcontrollers can be programmed from the serial port using MON08 feature.
you can even do debugging using MON08.
do some changes with supplied source, build,download,run.

read the manual/guides supplied with demoboard for jumper setting etc.

first get the led's glowing by your code if there are any on the board.

- Surinder
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi,
The GB60 is a S08 so uses BDM interface NOT MON08!!!
The demoboard comes with a serial monitor pre-programmed and you can use this to download/debug
Select it as the connection method in Codewarrior.
Don't have time to go into the rest now, just thought I would clear that bit up.

Regards David
0 Kudos

surinder
Contributor I
Hi Peg,

Thanks for the correction.
Will PROG08SZ download the program to mcu via DB9 cable?
If not, what to use?

I think it is easier for newcomers to follow some steps to get the program downloaded to the mcu.

Nav,
I with hc08ap64 demo board which is hc08. your mcu is hcs08 and it has different methods for doing things. The best option is read user manual (more elaborate than getting started document).
On the positive side your mcu board will have 6 pin BDM interface. There are some opensource BDM interface boards like Turbo BDM Light interface etc if you want to seriously get into debugging.

for now it is just matter of trying out different things as suggested in user manual. Also read datasheet for the MCU. you can get them from freescale.com site on the specific MCU page.

- Surinder
0 Kudos

Nav
Contributor I
Hi Peg and Surinder,
Firstly thanks a lot for having helped me out with this.Really appreciate the help

I downloaded the prog08sz software and ran the .exe program but the application could not recognise the COM port to whihc i had connected the M68DEMO908GB60 board.
Tried switching on the MCU in the debug monitor mode by keeping the SWitch4 pressed, but nothing seems to be happening:smileysad:

If anyone of you folks could help me out on this, i would be  really grateful for the guidance given..

Thanks once again.

Any ebooks or something on this?

Best Regards,
Nav
navneeth.p@gmail.com
0 Kudos

Nav
Contributor I
Hi Surinder,
the board which i have(M68DEMO908GB60) doesnt ahve a BDM interface.. and am not sure if i can connect any BDM pod to this one:smileysad:
Regards,
Nav
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi Nav,
I have my

MOTOROLA
M68DEMO908GB60

board made by Axiom Manufacturing in front of me now. (AXM-0313 Rev. B)
It has 2 female DB9's and a power socket on the left and a 6-pin BDM socket in the top left marked DEBUG

Is this what you have got?

Codewarrior 5 includes demos that will run directly on this board.

You CANNOT talk to this board with prog08sz software, that is only for HC08.

Use Codewarrior for free or BUY the S08 software from P&E.

Regards David

Message Edited by peg on 2006-09-16 09:14 AM

0 Kudos

Nav
Contributor I
Hello David and all,

thank you for your replies. Really appreciate it.

I wanted to know how can we use both the serial ports on the MCU(M68DEMO908GB60)
Like is it possible to transfer data to the MCU flash through SCI1 and read the data on the flash through SCI2.
also i wanted to know if we can actually transfer data from one MCU to another with the help of CodeWarrior.
thanks a lot for the help.
Luv,
Nav
0 Kudos

Nav
Contributor I
oops i meant DB9 serial cable.
0 Kudos