MC9S08QD4 Issues

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC9S08QD4 Issues

Lucas
Contributor I
Hey everyone, I'm having some very basics issues with the demo board that I'm working with and was hoping that I could get some help. Here's what I'm trying to do in a nutshell:
We have a new design featuring this chip so we ordered a demo board and it's my job to figure out how to use it. After playing around with it for awhile, I was able to the code I needed to run, but it doesn't seem that this code is interacting with the outside world.
The code I'm trying to test looks for a falling edge and then produces a pulse for 2ms. I'm just inputting a square wave into the board, because all I really need is a falling edge.
I have it setup now that I'm connecting in CodeWarrior using P&E Multilink/Cyclone Pro via USB, but I have a feeling that this isn't the right setting. When I try using SofTec HSC08 or HCS08 Serial Monitor, it tells me that I can't connect.
What I'm really looking for is a way to connect to the PC and run/download/whatever the code from there so the chip reads it and reacts to the outside signal I'm inputting. Sorry for being longwinded, but I'm really at an impass here.
Luke
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Lucas
Contributor I
I have the DEMO9S08QD4 board with the built in USB connector on there. Using Cyclone, I get the code to download and run, but the problem I'm having here is that it doesn't seem that the code is interacting to outside input. I'm using some of the pins (20 and 18 in the schematic, I've attached it) as input (20) and output (18). What I'm really getting at here, as I was trying to explain in my first post and was about as clear as mud, is that the code isn't reacting to the signal I'm inputting to the processor (basic square wave). I don't know if this is something that I'm doing wrong, or the board just doesn't want to do what I want it to do. Thanks again.
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi,

You don't give us much to go on!
Perhaps you are modifying an original demo programme that has these i/o configured as A2D and thats why they won't function as normal i/o?

0 Kudos

Technoman64
Contributor III
Can you post the code you are using? This would give other users a glimpse at what you are actually trying to do and maybe find the problem. Without the code to view there is really no way help.
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi Luke,

Not sure what demo board you have but, with reference to connecting it to CW:

If it has a built in BDM Adapter (ie has a USB socket on board) connect a USB cable and use the P&E Multilink/Cyclone Pro connection from within CW.
If it only has a 6 pin BDM header then you need a USB Multilink device to connect to the header then follow above connection.
In order to use the Serial Monitor connection you need to connect to the demo board via RS-232 cable and you need the monitor code already programmed into the demoboard. If it is not pre-programmed you need to use one of the methods outlined above to load it before attempting to use it.

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos

UcTechnoGeek
Contributor II
First you need to tell us which demo board you have.

Some of them have P&E's debugger built in and some do not.

uCTechnoGeek
0 Kudos