cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC9S08GT60 in circuit programmer/Debugger

ehestigoni
Contributor III
Hi Guys,

I'm intending to use 2 boards of DLP designs (http://www.dlpdesign.com/rf/rf1.shtml) and one of them has a MC9S08GT60 on.

I will need to modify the firmware on the uC in order to make the ADC to work. Therefore, I would like to know wich one of the In circuit debuggers/programmers is the best in this case. (M68DEMO908GB60 , USBMULTILINKBDME , M68CYCLONEPROE, M68MULTILINKS08, etc. )

In addition, is it possible to "upload" the firmware that is already in the uC to the PC to edit it on the In Circuit programmer/deugger software? Or I will need to ask the DLP guys for the firmware source files?

Thanks in advance!

Ed.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi and welcome Ed,

The DEMO908GT60 is a board similar to what you are buying, it will not assist you to programme/debug.
The USBMULTILINKBDME is the same as the P&E USB-ML-12 that they speak of in the datasheet of your board. This is most likely what you want. You can get it from Freescale or direct from www.pemicro.com.
The Cyclone Pro is just a super-duper version of the above, but it is unlikely you will need all of its "bells and whistles"
Finally the MULTILINKS08 is like the second one but printer port interface rather than USB.

I really think the USB Multilink is best suited for you.

You can also get a free version of Codewarrior IDE from this site. Perhaps the new 6.0 version (or 5.1)

You may be able to upload the code from the board if they have not secured it, but it would be far easier if you can get the source from them.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos

ehestigoni
Contributor III
Hi Peg,

in a previous message you sayd:
"You may be able to upload the code from the board if they have not secured it, but it would be far easier if you can get the source from them."

So... I'm with the P&E Multilink and the codewarrior ready to download my own firmware to the target board...

However I would like to save the firmware that is already on the board, in a file on the PC  just in case I need it later again... The firmware came in the mcu when I bought the board, but the source code was not provided...

Probably it would be a binary file, but it doesn't matter since I don't want to edit it... I just want to burn it again to the mcu later.

cheers,

Ed.

0 Kudos

ehestigoni
Contributor III
Hi again Peg.

It seems that I will need to buy and solder a connector (BDM connector?) for the DLP boards...
As they say on their "datasheet" :

"The MC9S08GT60 can be reprogrammed (if desired) with user-supplied firmware via a 6-pin BDM
header that is compatible with the P&E USB-ML-12 and other device programmers (purchased
separately)."

Please follow the link to see the board pics with the holes for the connector:

http://www.dlpdesign.com/rf/images/rf12fam.jpg

So... Will I need to buy and solder this connector? Just to make sure...

And when I read the USB multilink datasheet, it only says about motorola microcontrollers... Are you sure that the "USBMULTILINKBDME: USB HCS08/HCS12 BDM Multilink - In-Circuit Debugger / Programmer" supports  MC9S08GT60 ? Just to make sure as I will order online to be delivered in Australia.

And I also noticed that in fact it is a kit with:
  • USBMULTILINKBDM, In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer
  • USB Cable
  • CodeWarrior™ Development Studio for HC(S)08, Special Edition
  • CodeWarrior™ Development Studio for HCS12(X), Special Edition
  • Warranty Card Packing List

The codewarrior software also supports MC9S08GT60 in circuit programming and debugging, right?

Please let me know.

And thanks very much for your help!

Cheers,

Ed.
0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi,
I am just about to go out so a quick reply.
Everything is OK about what you say.
Freescale was Motorola.
You can buy just some double row header pins for the connector as 6 pin sockets are hard to come by.
Will quote you a source later as I am in Sydney Australia.

0 Kudos

ehestigoni
Contributor III
Hi Peg, it's me again.

I received the boards, and they almost did the job I need with the built in firmware from DLP. I already programmed my C++ Application and everything works fine BUT the ADC sampling rate I need @ 2K samples per sec...

So, I will have to build my own firmwares on the microcontrollers of the Base and Remote boards...
They said something about the SMAC firmware provided by you guys... I've just download it, but I couldn't understand what of those files I should use with the MC9S08GT60 and the MC13192 that are already on the board. I think the file structure will be clearer when I use the Codewarrior to open the projects, right?

Please let me know if there is any "best way" to write these firmwares as well as the tools I need...
Is the kit below enough to do the job?

• USBMULTILINKBDM, In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer
  • USB Cable
  • CodeWarrior™ Development Studio for HC(S)08, Special Edition
  • CodeWarrior™ Development Studio for HCS12(X), Special Edition

Thanks in advance Peg,

cheers,

Ed.

0 Kudos

peg
Senior Contributor IV
Hi again Ed,

Yes my suggestion still stands this is what you probably need. You did not buy it before?

I noticed a "you guys" in your post, I have nothing to do with Freescale, just a user. (if this is what you meant)

Also I have only dabbled with zigbee/SMAC etc but there are other far more experienced users that participate in this forum, that can probably help you better than me as you get further into this.

Also, and your getting out of my comfort zone already, you probably should be looking at BeeKit software on this site. The only thing I know about this is what I have read in these forums but it seems to be the current "way to go" for buiding SMAC etc based projects.

0 Kudos

ehestigoni
Contributor III
All right then mate!!

Now, I have no option but write my own firmware...
I was trying to use the DLP firmwares that come with the RF boards I bought... However I just found out that it is impossible to reach the rate of transmission I need (2Ksps)...

And yes, I thought you were one of the freescale guys... 900 posts is quite impressive isn't it?? Hehe!!

Thanks for your help mate!

Cheers,

Ed. 

0 Kudos

ehestigoni
Contributor III
Just perfect mate!

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Ed.
0 Kudos

ehestigoni
Contributor III
Hi Peg,

Thanks for your help!
Probably I will bring more questions soon...

Cheers,

Ed.

0 Kudos

UcTechnoGeek
Contributor II
Don't forget about the Open Source BDM (OSBDM) project.

uCTechnoGeek
0 Kudos