cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC6811 processor

Hugh-Aguilar
Contributor I

Hello. I just now joined this forum.

I'm interested in the MC6811 processor. Does NXP still support this? I have noticed several people on the internet who have MC6811 clones running on FPGA chips. Does NXP have any legal objections to cloning the MC6811? My ultimate goal is to make an FPGA clone of the MC6811, although I would first be purchasing whatever MC6811 evaluation board that NXP still sells.

FreeScale had an EVBU evaluation board for the MC6811. This featured the MC68HC711E9 chip. Does NXP have this board? 

I have a FreeScale document: EB298. According to this document, the EVBU board shipped with the BUFFALO monitor that ran on the MC6811, and the PCbug11 program that ran on MS-DOS and could be used for burning the EPROM at $D000 and the EEPROM at $B600 --- primarily for installing the BUFFALO monitor on the board.

Can I still get the BUFFALO monitor and PCbug11? It would be best if I had the source-code for BUFFALO so I could modify it. I'm not much interested in PCbug11 because that is an old MS-DOS program and I can probably find some modern software that does the same thing on a modern OS.

Is BUFFALO public-domain? Can I modify it and distribute it? If it is not public-domain I will write my own monitor in MC6811 assembly-language. I would prefer to use BUFFALO because this was pretty standard back in the day (it was used in college classes), although everybody who was familiar with it may have already died of old age so it is no longer well-known.

BTW: I have the NXP data-sheet for the MC68HC11E family of processors. This document listed the instructions in alphabetic order, but it did not provide an opcode-map for the MC6811. I wrote my own opcode-map from this information. I needed this because I am writing an assembler for the MC6811. I am retargeting my HJA430 assembler that I wrote for the MSP-430. It is documented here: https://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=21841 I attached a copy of my opcode-map if anybody is interested. Also, I manually transferred this information from the alphabetic list, so there might be mistakes --- if you find any mistakes, please tell me.

thanks for your help --- Hugh

0 Kudos
2 Replies

vicentegomez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Sorry all the HC11 or HC05 are no longer supported

Have a good day

0 Kudos

Hugh-Aguilar
Contributor I

What about the CPU08, CPU12 and CPU16? Does NXP support these?

I'm not enthusiastic about the CPU08. It was designed to run C code, with the local-frame on the SP stack. I don't program in C though; I prefer assembly-language. The MC6811 has more registers.

I've noticed that there are several FPGA versions of the MC6811 available, so apparently I'm not the only programmer who liked the MC6811 ISA.

There is BASIC11 that is still available for the MC6811. What is available for the CPU08?

0 Kudos