cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC13213 irq doesnt come asserted

bobbyAIR
Contributor I
Hi,
I have designed my own board for MC13213 based on MC1321x NCB. After I loaded any of demos for SMAC generated by BeeKit I always get the same problem. The CPU stops in the same place like shown in attatchement. I have found that the problem is in crystal rezonator. My had 30 pF of load capasitance. So i have replaced it to one that has 8 pF. But it didn't solve the problem. Jus once the MCU has stepped that part of code. Now it does stop in the same place or sometimes i get massege from debbuger that new clock speed has been detected or I get illegal BP. What is wery interesting the clock sometimes changest to 16 MHz and sometimes to 8.45 MHz. Is there anyone that has solved that problem or know why it occures?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies

fgs_chuck
Contributor I
bobbyAIR,

I don't think this problem has anything to do with the the possibility of manufacturing problems. I am using the NCB unit that Freescale ships with their Network Starter Kit, and it fails at the same spot in MCUInit() where your custom board is failing.

I generated SMAC templates from BeeKit for both the Wireless UART and the Accelerometer templates. Neither of them work with Freescales's NCB device - and, yes, I chose MC13213-NCB as the target. I suspect that BeeKit is generating some configuration parameters incorrectly for the NCB. I have found other defects in the generated code from BeeKit.

Regards,
fgs_chuck
0 Kudos

bobbyAIR
Contributor I
I was wondering about that. I just wasn't sure if the same problem appears on NCB from freescale. Is it possible to be checked by you if other codebases work. For example MAC examples. If not I will have to analize whole code with datasheet and correct mistakes that I hope to find.
What it suprising for me is that many people hav bought it ( as I suppose ) an you are first that has ( or reports ) that problem on original board.
0 Kudos

fgs_chuck
Contributor I
bobbyAIR,

The MyStartNetwork MAC example works with the NCB. I am also surprised that no one has commented upon SMAC examples not working with NCB targets.

Here are a couple more surprises.

1) If you build any SMAC templates from BeeKit and enable the embedded bootloader, you can never use the CodeWarrior debugger - something about the jump table for the ISR vectors being loaded to the wrong location.

2) If you build any SMAC templates from BeeKit (regardless of whether the embedded bootloader is enabled or not), you cannot use Freescale's Test Tool to download the S19 file with the P&E BDM device. Yes, it actually works in almost every case. Yes, existing Freescale documentation clearly states that the BDM can be used with Test Tool (for MAC apps). However, the position that Freescale Tech Support has taken is that since they didn't specifically state that the BDM could be used with SMAC apps, then it isn't supported. Furthermore, if (as I did) you use Test Tool with the BDM (because, after all, Freescale documentation clearly states that you can do this), you can manage to corrupt the NV_RAM structure in the device such that the clocks and internal registers are completely corrupted and will never boot again - until you go through a rather long and arcane process that I documented in the note "I'm having a problem with the MC13213 SRB units from the ...". (NOTE: Sorry for the stupid title. This is what happens when you fail to specify a subject line for your note.)

0 Kudos

bobbyAIR
Contributor I
I was triing to check if MAC application will work but unfortunetly i dont have full licence for CW so i couldn't compile it. I hope in few days i will manage to decrise amount of files in that project and let you know if it is working
0 Kudos

UC3MZigbeeGroup
Contributor I
Hi Bobby,

I have a similar problem than yours, please, look at the description of my problem at:
http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board/message?board.id=8BITCOMM&message.id=8876&jump=true#M887...

I would like to know how do you solve your problem? and how can I look at the value of IRQ_Status Register with the debugger?

Thanks in advance.

Rubén.

0 Kudos

bobbyAIR
Contributor I
Hi,
I have solved this problem. I reason was bad footprint, that caused bad soldering. After changing whole PCB i have no problem to comunicate my 5 boards using built in anntena switch insted of external. You can see that soldering pads are longer than documentation sais and they have rounded corners beyond MC13213 and no connection to FLAG through pads, just through vias i FLAG
0 Kudos

UC3MZigbeeGroup
Contributor I
Hi again,

thanks for your answer, I was wondering how can I look at the value of IRQ_Status Register with the debugger? because I think that the reason of my problem could be anything unusual in this register.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos

bobbyAIR
Contributor I
fgs_chuck
Than You wery much for your reply and explenation. In the evening i will test MAC aplicatiion that you claim to work on your board. We will se if it also does on mine. Then I will write my result for discution. Examples of siprises you have found are also wird espetialy that this is example software with exaple board so it shoud work giving chance to test own designs.
My board is home maid ( dont think it isnt good qualitiy :smileywink: ) and only what i had were reference designs. Whet you have to manage that kind of problem like I had where it is my first contact whith freescale uC an CW i was expecting that i made mistake on my boad or during soldering.
Thanks one more time for your reply

Message Edited by bobbyAIR on 2007-06-22 06:45 PM
0 Kudos

Spell
Contributor I
Hi Bobby,
I had a similar problem...
In my custom board I had some pin test short circuited and this issues causes an invalid communication between modem and mcu.
I don't know if you have the same problem but you check if your pin test are floating or not

best regards,
Filippo
0 Kudos

bobbyAIR
Contributor I
Hi,
Ofcorse you can be right. But as You know it is quite problematic to check tst pads if you dont have any test poinst ( my board is to small ). I juts dont thint that is reason because I have the same problem on few boards
0 Kudos

Spell
Contributor I
Hi,
I know it is quite problematic to check tst pads infact I had to execute a X-Ray test for find the solder issues between test pads...:smileyhappy:
However you can try to flash the simple firmware I have attach for test you custom board.

bobbyAIR wrote:
I juts dont thint that is reason because I have the same problem on few boards

I had this problem on few boards too and it was always a solder issues...

regards,
Filippo
0 Kudos

bobbyAIR
Contributor I
Thanks for the source. But stil there is the same problem. In function vnfCheckModemOnLine() irq flag in irq status register is never set. I hope you are right and it is just solder problem. Hovewer i wonder what crystal resonator did you use for your custom boards. I'm asking because i have problem to get such good quality crystals that are recomended by freescale.

Message Edited by bobbyAIR on 2007-06-22 11:55 AM
0 Kudos

Spell
Contributor I
I mount a 16MHz crystal oscillator of Daishinku

regards,
Filippo
0 Kudos

bobbyAIR
Contributor I
You are lucky, in Poland there is no way to buy it :smileymad: Now im looking for any that matches modem paramiters
0 Kudos