cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JM60 Bootloader GUI source?

Byra
Contributor I

Hi,

Im using a JM60 and using the Freescale JM60 Bootloader GUI to program it. For production, I need to integrate the programmer GUI into my own software package. Is the source for the GUI available?

Thanks,

Byra

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

dougm
Contributor I

The bootloader uses WinUsb. 

1.  Search the web to find a doc called "How to Use WinUSB to Communicate with a USB Device". 

2.  Download the DDK from Microsoft.  I'm using 7600.16385.1. 

3.  Download the source files for the JM60 Bootloader firmware.

4.  Add the various defines form the bootloader to your GUI code for things like mVERIFY, mPROGRAM, etc.

5.  Download the free version of BusHound.  Monitor the Freescale GUI USB exchanges for a bit, and you'll get the idea.

You'll only need a half dozen or so files from the DDK to use WinUSB.  The bootloader uses control transfers.

0 Kudos

TurboBob
Contributor IV

Thanks for your response.

That is all good info.

But,  why in the world should I be required to reverse engineer a bootloader that the CPU manufacturer should provide? 

Why would Freescale spend the resources to write it in the first place and not publish the source?  If they are interested in selling or licensing it,  fine,  do it.  The current state of that app note is "un usable",  along with several other bootloader's they have published "half done".

It just seems bass-ackwards to me.

Bob

</grumble>

0 Kudos

donw
Contributor IV

I agree with Bob, FS seem to have had a long history of stumbling at the last useful or essential bit of support, escpecially on the PC side. I wonder how many young engineer customers they have failed to capture over the years. One look at how others do it (atmel,etc) should have given them some clues...

I have used PC code from here to create a USB interface:

http://www.lvr.com/usb.htm

0 Kudos

rocco
Senior Contributor II

Bob is right, but Freescale's tool problems are not isolated to the 8-bitters. Development tool support in the DSP realm is even worse.

In the early 80's, the quality of the development tools was the ONLY reason we went with Motorola.

Today, the quality of the development tools is the ONLY reason we don't use Freescale in any new designs.

0 Kudos

TurboBob
Contributor IV
yes, the Flexis JM stuff is intended to let you migrate between the 8 bit world to the 32 bit world with minimal pain. I recently started using the Coldfire JM series. Support / app notes / etc. are worse for it than here in 8-bit land. So while support could carry over, lack of support surely does... Bob
0 Kudos

TurboBob
Contributor IV

many have asked,  the response has been silence.

AN2295 has all of its source published. 

The bootloader built into the USBDM (I think thats the one) is published as well.

Another alternative is the bootloader for the badgeboard,  which appears as a flashdrive,  just drag your file onto it and it loads it.

But,  as you have found,  bootloader support is pretty light otherwise.

Bob

0 Kudos