Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read big amounts of data?

Jump to solution
PW_CTL
Contributor III

Hi,

I want to play a sound with a RS08. For that, I want to storage a uncompressed audio file in a external memory, and read it from the RS08 to play it directly.

The problem is in the storage method and the speed needed to read the bitstream to play the audio file (one second, 44.1KHz, 16bits).

Have you ever done something like that? Please, can you recommend me a storage method (eeprom, flash, sd card...)?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hello,

Yes, if the ability to remove the card and plug it into a computer is of no benefit then don't use SD.

I would recommend SPI interface EEPROM memory. They all work pretty much the same. You send a write instruction then a start address and then you can just stream the data out to it up to a page boundary. To read you send a read instruction then an address then keep feeding clocks until you have got all you like. This makes it VERY low overhead to read in lots of contiguous data. Which exact device is up to you but maybe more determined by what you have access to easily through your regular suppliers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hi,

10 secconds of searching revealed https://community.freescale.com/message/57084#57084.

I thing you will struggle with an RS to do this.

Using an SD card allows an easy way to get the sound to the device.

0 Kudos
PW_CTL
Contributor III

Hi peg,

Yes, I know this post and even I tried to follow it some days ago, but I think this is not the easiest way to get access to data, and I really do not need a SD card.

I think it should be easy to use a little eeprom or a nand flash. 1MB will be enough. 

My question is if you recommend me a spi or i2c memory, and how to program it.

Thanks and best regards.

0 Kudos
peg
Senior Contributor IV

Hello,

Yes, if the ability to remove the card and plug it into a computer is of no benefit then don't use SD.

I would recommend SPI interface EEPROM memory. They all work pretty much the same. You send a write instruction then a start address and then you can just stream the data out to it up to a page boundary. To read you send a read instruction then an address then keep feeding clocks until you have got all you like. This makes it VERY low overhead to read in lots of contiguous data. Which exact device is up to you but maybe more determined by what you have access to easily through your regular suppliers.

0 Kudos
PW_CTL
Contributor III

Thank you very much.

I´ll try a little 8 pins DIP 1MB SPI eeprom. It will be enough for my purposes. Cheap and small.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
PeterHouse
Contributor I
MB or Mb? Mega Byte or Mega bit. Big difference in storage space. Good Luck.
0 Kudos