显示结果 
显示  仅  | 搜索替代 
您的意思是: 

How to get started with 8-bit NXP?

1,790 次查看
masterdesaster
Contributor II

Dear Forum,

i already got some experience with 8-bit MCUs. At first i started with programming an Arduino Nano with an ATMega328p and it was already pretty fun. But because i want to explore all the ways of a subject i went quickly to STM and i am currently using an STM8S103 for some small projects.

NXP 8-bit MCUs are one of the cheapest my local store has to offer so i thought: why not give NXP a shot and use it in a next project?

Because i don't like development boards (usually they are overpriced and can do too much stuff i don't need, at least not at the beginning) i thought about developing my own small breakout board. I am currently thinking of an MC9S08QB.

So the first thing i always think about if i dive into a new MCU family: How can i program this thing (so which software and hardware / programmer i have to use)?

So i read through the documentation and the first hint i read was :

Development Support

– Single-wire background debug interface

Okay, i made a quick google search and i found out that i have to use this tool: BDM Multilink In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer|NXP

But as it says on the website, this product is actually outdated. So the replacement for it is this tool:
P&E Microcomputer Systems: Over 30 years as an Industry leader in Embedded Systems Development Tools...

As you can see, this one costs a whopping 200$! For me as a student this is impossible to buy from my own money without serious drawbacks in other financial parts.
So i am wondering, why there are very cheap programming options for Atmel (AVR ISP MKII) and STM (ST-Link) 8-bit controllers but it looks like there are none for NXP?
Are there other ways how i can program a MCU (i don't need the debugging option)? Is there also a way to use KEIL or IAR IDEs to work with these other options if there are any?

I hope i don't get disappointed.

Best regards

标签 (1)
7 回复数

1,414 次查看
vicentegomez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Please please help me to create a new thread with the new problem

or if you have confidential information please help me to enter a case on the web page under support

pastedImage_1.png

And we will help you.

Regards

Vicente Gomez

0 项奖励
回复

1,414 次查看
tonyp
Senior Contributor II

Regarding contacting PGO, who I believe monitors (or used to, at least) these discussions, one way would be to click on the PEOPLE header above, and then search for pgo, and send a message.

Or even better, start another thread with USBDM somewhere in the title (like: Does USBDM support 9S08QB) to hopefully get his attention.  Or, even someone else's who happens to know the answer.

1,414 次查看
tonyp
Senior Contributor II

Yes, it does.  All MCxxx designated chips are remnants of Motorola Corporation -> Freescale -> NXP

1,414 次查看
tonyp
Senior Contributor II

It most certainly is!  Just so I'm clear, we're talking NXP 8-bit coming from the Freescale side, specifically 9S08 series.

I should note that the QB specifically was not listed, and I'm not able to load the software at the moment to check if this specific variant is supported.  Maybe, you'd like to ask PGO, the author of USBDM, about this.

0 项奖励
回复

1,414 次查看
masterdesaster
Contributor II

I don't know if the MC9S08QB comes from the Freescale side. I don't have alot of background knowledge in NXP or freescale MCUs. How can i talk to PGO?

0 项奖励
回复

1,414 次查看
tonyp
Senior Contributor II

Regarding BDM programming search for USBDM.  Open source hardware (you can build one yourself if you like) and you can possibly find them from a variety of manufacturers on eBay for very low prices.  I got mine for around $10 a couple of years ago.  Search eBay for USBDM.  Just be careful to order the correct version as there are several with different capabilities.  Read the USBDM site first: USBDM: USBDM Debugger interface for Freescale RS08,HCS08,HCS12,Coldfire and ARM-Kinetis Devices.

0 项奖励
回复

1,414 次查看
masterdesaster
Contributor II

Hi Tony,

thanks a lot for your answer.

I searched google and i found this:

Freescale Usbdm Osbdm V4 95 Download Debugger Emulator 48MHz USB2 0 | eBay

Is this appropriate for programming a 8-bit NXP MCU?

0 项奖励
回复