cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEMO9S08QD4

sauliuz
Contributor I
Hello,

I am using this demo board to program my QD4 mircos on my application boards. Up till now I was using in-system-programming cable connected and and it was just fine. I programmed a rs232 type communications using timer and it works very well. But today I noticed that when I disconect programmer (DEMO9S08QD4) switch power off then on, communications get lost. It seems that internal oscilator trim value is wrong. Now when I programme micros with debugger connected through BKGD trim value seems to be ok. In the True-Time Simulator & Real-Time Debugger, at MultilinkCyclonePro->Advanced Programming/Debug Options there are trim options with only one check box: "Calculate Trim and Program the Non-Volatile Trim Register". I keep it checked. I thought that means that it automaticly writes trim value to flash and I don't have to worry about it. So do I have to write it myself?

Saulius
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Ake
Contributor II
Hi,
If the "Calculate Trim and Program the Non-Volatile Trim Register" is clear, the Flash EPROM memory at 0xFFAF will not change although the entire Flash EPROM is erased.
This means that if you copy the 0xFFAF to the ICSTRIM cell at the beginning of your code, the MCU will run at the PLL compensated with the trim values that were measured in the factory.

If the "Calculate Trim and Program the Non-Volatile Trim Register" is set, the Flash EPROM memory at 0xFFAF will be erased.
A new calibration value is measured and written into the ICSTRIM cell. The same value is also written into the 0xFFAF cell. This means that the same value will be used the next time the MCU is reset.

Regards,
Ake
0 Kudos

sauliuz
Contributor I
Regarding problem TRIM value. I copied the value from programming log window, which was automaticly calculated by programming software into my C-code. Now I write it manually (checkbox not checked) and it works. It seems the demoboard writes different(wrong) value to 0xFFAF and right to ICSTRIM. I don't know... Now I am testing the very first piece. Later I'll put hands on more boards with QD4. If the problem persists I will write it here.

One more important question. These are my first steps with programming through BKGD. I also got MC9S08DV60 processor. Well... At least distributor promised to send DV60. I got datasheet and chips for investigation. Now it is written on the chip PC9S08DZ60. I have a bad feeling that it is different family - DZ... Becouse there are no info on freescale.com I can not see if my suspissions are true.

IF the pin layout of DZ60 is the same as DV60, becouse I made a test board according DV60 datasheet, I am not able to start the board.

Question: is it possible to program other types of microcontrollers with QD4 demo board programmer? MultilinkCyclonePro menu in True-Time Simulator and Debugger I can find both DV60 and DZ60 devices.

0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello Sauliuz,

Please take the habit of creating a new thread when you ask a new question... This is NOT optional and is part of the rules we all need to respect for the forum not to become a mess.
You can find them at [IMPORTANT] Reminder of Rules to post on technical boards.
Next time, I will just lock the thread as I prefer spending time on contribution rather than policing.

I don't see how your distributor can promise to send you a DV60 when the DZ60 is not even launched to distribution... you will need to clarify this with him
The S08DV is a lower featured version of the S08DZ.
You can find information on the S08D series at http://www.freescale.com/S08D.

These products are not launched to distribution but to automotive customers.
Datasheet are preliminary and subject to change. Designing on this kind of information is at your own risk.

Finally, PC9S08DZ60 means that your product is not fully qualified but is an engineering sample. PC samples are not designed for production. Fully qualified products have references starting with MC.

Cheers,
Alban.
0 Kudos

sauliuz
Contributor I
ups.. I apologize for mixing questions in a thread. Next it'll be according the rules.

Regarding distribution, we are automotive customer.

Thank you for clarifying the part numbers. And thanks for the link, I missed it since it is not in the 8-bit micros section menu at freescale.com.

regards,
Saulius
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello Saulius,

Usually automotive customers have an assigned FAE. If you find one, ask him for the latest datasheet because some things were improved and/or corrected on the DZ60 datasheet.

The link is kind of special because products need to be launched to be on the website. That's why you cannot find this page by navigating through freescale.com.

Regards,
Alban.
0 Kudos