Cheap ICSP programmers for HC08/HCS08?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap ICSP programmers for HC08/HCS08?

RChapman
Contributor I
This message contains an entire topic ported from a separate forum. The original message and all replies are in this single message. We have seeded this new forum with selected information that we expect will be of value to you as you search for answers to your questions.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 5:12 am    

I'm 15 years old and just getting started with microcontrollers. All of the commercial programmers are outside of my budget. There seem to be tons of cheap programmers that you can build for PICs on AVRs, but I cant seem to find any for the HC08. Are there any?

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:10 pm    

If you choose the HC08 family, you need only a serial-port, a MAX232 some diodes and Rs to create the interface.

If you want, i can mail a schematics with a programmer/debuger interface to you. Otherwise you can find the description in the datasheets.

Saluti

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:47 am    

Do I need any special software to program that? Codewarrior has ISP support, right?

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:59 am    

The schematics i sent is a little bit sofisticated! But very functional.
You do not need additional software. Simply choose the ICD target from PE when you create a project. Then choose Class 1 ICS .... (Power controlled via DTR). Select a serial port and 9600 baud.
You have to set the right jumpers (see the pdf i sent) for the micro choosen!
Attention switch OFF the FIFO's for the serial port you want to use, otherwise the bock transfers will not work!
Sorry for the german doc (pdf), ti is unfinished so there are the jumper settings for the AB32 only.

Saluti

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies

olemp
Contributor I
i just built a monitor mode programmer and it was very easy.....
application note an2317 : "Low-Cost Programming and Debugging Options for M68HC08 MCUs" describes how to make a programmer...

for monitor mode programming an oscillator, rs232 level converter (this converter also provide the voltage which is necessary for standart monitor mode entry (8-9v)) and a few passive element is enough...and MCU pins should be set according to monitor mode requiretments.....

in the web there is some programmer examples:

0 Kudos

jarin
Contributor I
I searched over web a have found no programmer supporting HCS08 chips. I didn't mean to buy programmers from PEmicro or so - but low-cost and easy to build programmer (like those for HC08, with just max232 and oscillator and a few components, all cost just a few Euros) - because I'm just a poor student. Did anybody find something useful, or nothing as I did?
0 Kudos

glennp
Contributor I

If you search for "Mario Becroft" on the web you will find his web  site that has a very simple programmer on it.   Its based on the Freescale programmer in the HC908 data sheets.

Use software from the P&E Micro site   www.pemicro.com

glenn

0 Kudos

thm59
Contributor II

Hello,
On the internet site : www.68hc08.net , you will finds a complete description (including PCBs, schematics, ..) of 4 HC908 programmers :
- The most simple and cheap one (?) (+/- 15 usd including QY4)
- A class III / class I with 2A current capability
- A pure class I programmer
- A small class III in cms components programmer.
thierry

0 Kudos

Nikwarrior
Contributor I
hi...
god info...

but i dont find  the section where are the IC. can you help me a little with this?

Thanks a lot!!!!!
0 Kudos

joerg
Contributor II
Hi

have a closer look in this section:

http://forums.freescale.com/freescale/board?board.id=OSBDM08

Saluti Joerg
0 Kudos

Nikwarrior
Contributor I
well
i really want a Class I programmer for hc908Gp32..
if some one can help me please...

thanx a lot

0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello,

HC08 and S08 will not use the same programmer type.
A class 1 programmer for GP32, which is an HC08 is simply a RS232 cable linked to PTA0.
The definition of the class 1 is in the datasheet: a MAX232 (or similar) with a couple of capacitors and diodes, and that is it. No more.

Advantage: cheap, simple, and very cheap
Drawbacks: need to power cycle by hand, longer to program (because manual).

Cheers,
Alban.
0 Kudos

eckhard
Contributor V

Hello,

a Class I programmer can handle the power cycle. The programming circuit mentioned in the datasheet is the Class III programmer. You can find a Class I Programmer on www.68hc08.net.
http://www.68hc08.net/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=8

The Site is in french, but maybe Alban can help a little with translation if needed.

Eckhard

0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hi Eckhard,

Thanks for correcting me!
I know this dissident Forum... You know that French don't like to do like others, allegedly.
Here is a quick translation of
http://www.68hc08.net/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=8 From David

Class 1: means you can program without having to bother about power supply
Class 3: you can program the device but have to handle power cycles.

These two modes allow you to debug the HC08 and know its activities in real time.

This programmer can supply up to 2A to the programmed board, providing you put power dissipator on the voltage regulators, of course.

About the signals, only one MAX232 is used. C1 C2 C4 and C5 capacitors could be replaced by 1µF or 100nF, it will still work as nicely.

LED D5 allow you to see if there is traffic between the PC and the HC08

Class 1 is handled by relays which can cut IRQ and VDD. It is also used to ground VDD on the board and discharge capacitors instantaneously (Alban's note: means you are certain to get a real Power On Reset=POR ).

Reset pin is not handled as it is compulsorily handled on the HC08 board. Please note that 2 oscillators are present, but you can still use the HC08 onboard oscillator. In that case, make sure to recalculate the bus speed and baud rate accordingly to match the baud rate advised in the datasheet.

Power supply of this programmer and the board should be 9V minimum.
It's better to use a 2A power supply straight away, rather than having to change later.

Note that you could increase the current the programmer can supply to the board. You would need to use a transistor as described in the 7805 datasheet. Relays are handling up to 10A.

The delay T to enter in CodeWarrior is 500ms.

Cost: about 15€ with the power supply.
PCB size: 57mm x 70mm
The PCB is single sided. connector can be replaced with a cable.

Speedy translation. Does not fully respect the tone of the Author.

Kind Regards,
Alban.

--
Edit: Alban should not press Submit before finishing his post.

Message Edited by Alban on 2007-05-08 12:16 PM
0 Kudos

Nikwarrior
Contributor I
THANX A LOT !!!
i will try

cheers
Nikolai
0 Kudos

joerg
Contributor II
Hi
A simple HC05 programmer can be found:

http://www.systech-gmbh.ch/indexHCS08System.html

Saluti Joerg
0 Kudos

jarin
Contributor I

thm59 wrote:
Hello,
On the internet site : www.68hc08.net , you will finds a complete description (including PCBs, schematics, ..) of 4 HC908 programmers :
- The most simple and cheap one (?) (+/- 15 usd including QY4)
- A class III / class I with 2A current capability
- A pure class I programmer
- A small class III in cms components programmer.
thierry

Hello, I built one HC08 classIII programmer/debugger about year ago; it works, I've worked with a few devices, but there is a problem with cheap programmer (or better say programmer I can build at my own) for HCS08 chips, not HC08 (HC908) chips.
If you know about something useful, please let me know.
Thanks

0 Kudos

Nabla69
Contributor V

Hey Jarin,

I know some people were working on trying to port the TDBDML (Turbo Debugger Background Debug Mode Light) which was created by Daniel on Freegeeks.net but only works on S12.

As far as I know, it is a frequency limitation on the HC08JB8 that prevents the TB... from working on S08. Even if both S12 and S08 have a BDM interface.

May be coming soon.... :smileywink:

Cheers,
Alvin.

0 Kudos

jarin
Contributor I
nabla69, thanks for reply.
I know about this project and I'm waiting for results of their work, hope they could do the job and share it with all - I'm sure I won't be alone who is waiting for something like that.
0 Kudos

Nabla69
Contributor V
Hey Jarin,

The release of the Open Source BDM for S08 is now imminent.
I'd suggest you subscribe to the Forum so you get it via email :smileytongue:

If it's not this afternoon, let's say start of next week ?!!! :smileysurprised:

Cheers,
Alvin... 8)
0 Kudos

Nabla69
Contributor V

Hi Guys,

Seems like few small mistakes in the documentation is pushing the release for just now.
If I had say nothing, it would have been through without trouble.
Never sell the bear skin before having hunted it.

Alvin.

0 Kudos

jarin
Contributor I

Hi nabla69,

great news. I'm already subscribed, so I'm looking forward to it :smileyhappy:

Thanks for information;

Jarin

0 Kudos