cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dma_alloc_coherent memory with mmap

jackou
Contributor I

Hi,

I am writing a pcie driver for LS1021a to get data from the pcie card.    

In driver, memory is allocated by:

virt_mem = dma_alloc_coherent(&dev, size, &dma_mem, GFP_KERNEL);

Everything works fine, I get virt_mem for kernel and dma_mem for DMA. 

This memory is mmapped to user application by:

remap_pfn_range(vma, vma->vm_start,  virt_to_phys(dma_mem)>>PAGE_SHIFT,  vma->vm_end-vma->vm_start, vma->vm_page_prot);

The mmap is successful in user application.  

During self test, the driver (instead of DMA) writes value to this memory, and user application reads it out.  Driver writes 1 -> being read, writes 2 ->being read, ......    user application is supposed to get data in right sequence, 1 2 3 4 ...      

Issue:   User application doesn't get the right sequence of data.  Sometimes it gets right number, sometimes gets old value.   

The memory should be non-cacheable or coherent.  The driver written data should be visible to user application.  I am thinking it might be due to something like write-buffer somewhere.   I tried using mb() or __asm("dsb") after each data write.  But no help, application still gets wrong data sequence.    

I then tried allocating the memory using kmalloc (instead of dma_alloc_coherent), and use remap_pfn_range again for mmap.   Everything works fine this time.  I believe because it is cacheable memory, the driver-write data is correctly read by application.   

Can't figure out what goes wrong.   Is remap_pfn_range the right choice for dma_alloc_coherent memory ?  why mb() seems no help at all ? 

Thanks !

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

jackou
Contributor I

Problem is solved. 

It is not due to write buffer.  When user mmap the coherent kernel memory, it turns to cacheable again.  

Needs to place one more line in .mmap function:

vma->vm_page_prot = pgprot_noncached(vma->vm_page_prot);  # this line is added. 

remap_pfn_range(.....);

Everything works fine.  

0 Kudos