I need Processor Expert / FRDM-KL25Z help for dummies

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need Processor Expert / FRDM-KL25Z help for dummies

sbm_afc
Contributor II

Serious noob here, I can generate code in the Processor Expert but when I click Build 'Debug' for project 'hello world' I get this message:

**** Build of configuration Debug for project helloworld ****

Nothing to build for project helloworld

What's the first thing to check when troubleshooting??

I really appreciate the help thank you so much!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I just saw that you posted the same question for KDS (Re: Processor Expert problem), where the screenshot indicates that you are using the Processor Expert Driver Suite. The Driver Suite is a 'front end' to other tool chains like IAR or Keil.

So what you need (if I assume correctly) is either to use Processor Expert with a toolchain integrated (e.g. CodeWarrior or Kinetis Design Studio). I recommend that you use the Kinetis Design Studio which comes with Processor Expert and the tool chain integrated.

You can get it from www.freescale.com/kds.

The other alternative you have is to build your own DIY toolchain: that's clearly more work than simply using a 'ready-made' distribution, but you might learn a lot about what is behind. The list of DIY tutorial starts here: http://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/07/20/dyi-free-toolchain-for-kinetis-part-1-gnu-arm-build-tools/

If you would like to use what you have (Driver Suite 10.4), then you can use it with IAR (Tutorial: IAR + FreeRTOS + Freedom Board | MCU on Eclipse) or Keil (Using Keil µVision (ARM-MDK) with Processor Expert Driver Suite | MCU on Eclipse).

If it is about tutorials using Processor Expert, here are a few (using CodeWarrior, but you should be easily be apply it to Kinetis Design Studio, CodeWarrior or anything else you want to use):

- http://mcuoneclipse.com/2012/08/13/tutorial-timer-led-with-processor-expert-for-kinetis/

- http://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/03/16/pwm-for-processor-expert-explained/

- Tutorial: User Interrupts with Processor Expert | MCU on Eclipse

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

sbm_afc
Contributor II

Hi there Erich,

I think I'll try Kinetis Design Studio...

Is there something that I can read about the differences between Processor Expert and CodeWarrior? Are they both owned by Freescale?

Also, thank you very much for your time, I'm glad I can come here to ask questions.

--AC

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi AC,

yes, both are owned by Freescale (KDS is produced by an external vendor).

Processor Expert is a technology/tool which allows you to graphically configure your device and software, generate source code and then use it for your application.

Processor Expert exists either standalone (within Eclipse) so can use it with your own tool chain, or IAR, or Keil, etc.

That technology comes pre-integrated with IDE's too, like in CodeWarrior or Kinetis Design Studio.

So from the technology it is the same: the difference is how it is packaged or which build tool chain/compiler/etc is used.

Erich

0 Kudos