u-boot on the Vybrid tower board in a few commands

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No ratings

Here is a quick summary at booting u-boot on the  TWR-VF65GS10 Vybrid tower board.

This is an adaptation of u-boot on the i.MX6 sabre sd platform in a few commands for Vybrid, now that mainline u-boot has proper support.

This assumes you already have a "working" Linux development environment with some ARM cross-compilers at hand (e.g. Debian + Emdebian).

Get u-boot sources

We will use git to fetch the U-Boot sources:

$ git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git

This should create a u-boot directory with all the latest sources.

Note that for more stability you might want to checkout a release instead of the latest version; to do so, list the available release tags with e.g. git tag -l 'v2*', and git checkout <the-desired-tag>.

Vybrid support in "mainline" u-boot is fairly recent so you will need a tag no older than v2013.07.

Compile

Assuming your cross compiler is called e.g. arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc, you can compile by doing:

$ cd u-boot

$ export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf-

$ make vf610twr_config

$ make

This should create a number of files, including u-boot.imx.

Put on SD

U-boot should reside at offset 1024B of your SD card. To put it there, do:

$ dd if=u-boot.imx of=/dev/<your-sd-card> bs=1k seek=1

$ sync

Your SD card device is typically something in /dev/sd<X> or /dev/mmcblk<X>. Note that you need write permissions on the SD card for the command to succeed, so you might need to su - as root, or use sudo, or do a chmod a+w as root on the SD card device node to grant permissions to users.

Boot!

Your SD card is ready for booting. Insert it in the SD card slot of your Vybrid tower board, connect to the USB to UART port with a serial terminal set to 115200 baud, no parity, 8bit data, power up the platform and you should see something like:

U-Boot 2013.04-00300-g3d9138e (Jul 09 2013 - 11:57:02)

CPU:   Freescale Vybrid VF610 at 396 MHz

Reset cause: WDOG

Board: vf610twr

DRAM:  128 MiB

WARNING: Caches not enabled

MMC:   FSL_SDHC: 0

In:    serial

Out:   serial

Err:   serial

Net:   Phy not found

PHY reset timed out

FEC

Warning: failed to set MAC address

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0

=>

Enjoy!

See also...

Labels (2)
Comments

Thanks for the information. Do you have a patch for the Vybrid AutoEVB board?

Regards

Dirk

Sorry Dirk, I am not aware of such a patch.

Hello,

It works fine with SD card, now, NAND flash support has to be added :smileyhappy:.

Emmanuel

The git repo  https://github.com/Timesys/u-boot-timesys.git is currently hosting some vybrid_auto targets in boards.cfg.  However, this u-boot is limited to Linux kernels from TimeSys.  The ones such as git://git.denx.de/u-boot-imx.git will support the current Linux mainline.  The u-boot does things like setting up the MSCM interrupt router (and other things I am still trying to discover).

Hi

We have added some support for flashing quadspi as part of the MFG tool effort, so

you can configure and program the quadspi from u-boot commands like qspiinit and qspiwrite.

It would be nice to consider to include this changes in this mainline.

Are there any procedure, like sending the patches to a mailing list or to someone for reviewing?

hi, I installed the Fedora several times,but failed.I only want to use the u-boot(2013.04) write image to the TWR65GS10(VF6XX).Can you send me the u-bot that you builed.Thank you.Not the u-boot 2011.12,it do not surport the create FCB.Thank you,again.

Hi,

Mainline u-boot 2013.04 is a bit too old for Vybrid as it does not have the necessary vf610twr_config. This config was introduced with mainline u-boot v2013.07.

Best regards,

V.

The main-line u-boot for v2014.07 and v2014.10 may not boot from SD card (might depend on the compiler used).  v2015.01 has fixed this issue.  I believe that v2014.04 and before are small enough.

http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2015-January/200738.html

As in this email,

http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2015-January/200836.html

It is pretty trivial to add the fix to any version.  Change CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE in include/configs/vf610twr.h to point to OCRAM video at 0x3f408000, which is 512MB in size.

Version history
Last update:
‎07-29-2013 01:47 AM
Updated by: