cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32DS ARM debugger not working as before

Jump to solution
uzza9
Contributor III

I have been working on the S32DS for ARM IDE with same target board (S32K144), and pretty confident to use the IDE. And the S32DS for ARM IDE has been working well till 2 days ago. Suddenly, however, my S32DS for ARM does not work as normal operation as before even though no changes in my work environment i.e. no configuration changes, no HW/SW changes.

1. Environment

a. Windows 11

b. S32 Design Studio for ARM version 2.2

c. MCU of the target: S32K144F512M15  

2. Symptom

- 'resume' and 'suspend' buttons not activated but only 'terminated' button activated when start debugging.

- no debug processing that looks like idle.

3. Observation (How to reproduce)

a. set debug configuration and run debug (same debug configuration as attached file name step2_unable_auto-detect.jpg)

b. waring message on Problem window when launching (file name: step1_not_match_prj_name.jpg)

c. Pop-up "Problem occurred" when launching [file name: step2_unable_auto-detect.jpg)

d. start debugging with Port info (file name: step3_starting_debug.jpg)

e. Console message when starting debug (file name: step4_console_msg.jpg)

f. [resume] and [pause] debug operation buttons deactivated (file name: step5_debug_op_btns.jpg)

g. Warning message popup when re-running [Debug] after pressing debug [terminate] button, the message informs "Another debug sessions already running".

h. [terminate and remove] a debug does not work because the first and next debug starting still on Debug window for every terminate and re-run.

i. repeating exit/launching S32DS ARM get same result as above.

4. What i have tried.

a. Changed (used other) PE Multilink Universal Debug Probes: the same result

b. Reinstalled the PE Multilink device driver: the same result

c. Using Segger J-Link Debug Probe: the same result

d. Reinstalled S32DS for ARM version 2.2: the same result

Any technical tip to fix the abnormal operation of S32DS for ARM debugger as described above will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
uzza9
Contributor III

Hi Julian,

Thanks for all your effort to help me fix this issue.

This morning, suddenly, my S32DS for ARM is working as before even though I did not change anything i.e. tried with same configuration that I used work before.

THS ISSUE WILL BE CLOSED.

For your minor information, my original configuration keeps;

1. the "Skip all breakpoints" option unselected.

2. the optimization for the project is set to none.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
rmaier
Contributor III

Hello,

I appear to be having the same issue as well now. This has happened before and appeared to resolve itself. This is now again a problem. We have tried a number of solutions with no luck. Some updates to this:

- Running a KEA MCU appears to work.
- S32K144 does not work.
- Installing this on a Windows 10 machine also did not produce any success.

Any ideas on what we can test to diagnose this issue?

0 Kudos
rmaier
Contributor III

UPDATE:

The PE Micro is not working with custom target, but I am able to debug an example using the S32K144EVB-Q100 and OpenSDA. I was debugging just fine last week with the custom target.

0 Kudos
uzza9
Contributor III

Hi Julian,

This issue should be reopened.

Because this morning my S32DS for ARM with S32K144 target board suddenly started working and then the same problem occurs again.

Still the S32DS with S9KEA works without any problem.

Can you please help me again to get this issue fixed?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Julián_AragónM
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @uzza9,

Does this happen only on one S32K144 EVB? Are you able to test another board to confirm? I am not able to recreate your issue on my side. S32DS 2.2 works with no issue after selecting any debug configuration.

Here are my installation details if you want to compare versions:

Julin_AragnM_0-1715122215270.png

Best regards,
Julián

0 Kudos
Julián_AragónM
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @uzza9,

Windows 11 is not officially supported for S32 Design Studio for ARM version 2.2, in fact, Windows 11 was not even released, so some undesired behaviours (like this one) may come up. I will try to recreate your steps but as I've said, W11 is not recommended for the older tools.

Just as possible workarounds, could you test creating a new debug configuration? With this, is the port still blank when trying to debug? Are you able to attach to target from debug configuration?

Julin_AragnM_0-1714678680085.png

Does this happen with examples as well? Or is this issue coming from you project only? 

Best regards,
Julián

0 Kudos
uzza9
Contributor III

Hi Julian,

Thank you for the workaround with which I got some progress. However unfortunately debugger still does not work as before.

Please refer to my test cases and observation with the workaround.

1. The port issue seems gone.

2. The [resume], [suspend], and [terminate] buttons working.

3. breakpoint does not seem to work. ("Set breakpoint at main" does not work).

4. The symptoms are all same on both my project and new projects from example.

5. An weird is that debugger tells that some GDBMI port numbers and Server Port Numbers are already in use. Therefore I need to revise the port number in the case.

6. Questions come up while testing.

a. what does "Attach to Running Target" work?

b. Does debug launch file e.g. S43K144_Project_RTC_Debugger.launch under <project folder>\Project_Settings\Debugger\ affect for the debug environment setup because it does not change anything when I modified the *.launch file?

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Julián_AragónM
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @uzza9,

"Attach to Running Target" refers to using an already running system to attach can be made to the target MCU without affecting the code execution. You can look at the following posts: 

For the port numbers already in use, please check if there is not another pegdbserver_console instance running in Windows task manager, as stated in this community post: Solved: Error in services launch sequence. PEmicro GDB Launch Failure - NXP Community.

And yes, editing the .launch file in /Project_Settings should affect active session. This launch file can be configured by going to Debug > Debug Configuration.

Julin_AragnM_0-1714753019446.png

Best regards,
Julián

0 Kudos
uzza9
Contributor III

Hi Julian,

Thank you for the reply.

I think that my S32DS for ARM works with targets (my board and EVAL board) using S32K144 as expected except breakpoint operation not working as before.

It does not reach to breakpoint at main function (i.e. "Set breakpoint at main") for any projects i.e. my projects and projects from example. Moreover any breakpoint set after suspended does not work.

For your information, my S32DS for ARM works with target using S9KEAZ128M4 perfectly. No port issue as well as "Attach to Running Target" not necessary. Just keeps debug configuration as it I used before and debugging works without any problem. Here I have same debug configuration between it for S9KEA128M4 vs. S32K144F512M15 except the "Select Device" on the Debugger tab. 

Therefore, I think, the S32DS for ARM seems something wrong with S32K144 MCU.

Can you please help me to get S32DS ARM working with S32K144 target?

It will be more than happy if you need my further follow-up to fix this issue.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Julián_AragónM
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @uzza9,

Just to confirm, is the "Skip all breakpoints" option unselected?

Julin_AragnM_0-1714773127199.png

Also, please check if the optimization for the project is set to none:

Julin_AragnM_1-1714773179014.png

There was also a known issue with launching S32DS from console instead of the shortcut mentioned in this post: Can not set breakpoints while device is running in S32DS ARM v2.2 (and v2018.R1)

Please keep me updated.

Best regards,
Julián

0 Kudos
uzza9
Contributor III

Hi Julian,

Thanks for all your effort to help me fix this issue.

This morning, suddenly, my S32DS for ARM is working as before even though I did not change anything i.e. tried with same configuration that I used work before.

THS ISSUE WILL BE CLOSED.

For your minor information, my original configuration keeps;

1. the "Skip all breakpoints" option unselected.

2. the optimization for the project is set to none.

Thank you.

0 Kudos