Is "U-Disk" in USB OTG Host mode examples same as "USB Flash Drive"?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is "U-Disk" in USB OTG Host mode examples same as "USB Flash Drive"?

Jump to solution
mrd
Contributor III

I'm trying to decide if the RT1176 is a good fit for an application that needs to read/write a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive of various sizes. I was looking at the evkmimxrt1170_host_msd_fatfs_freertos_cm7 example and it says it supports "UFI and SCSI U-Disk". Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is U-Disk the same as a standard USB Flash drive?  Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RaRo
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @mrd,

Even though, both the USB flash drive and the U-Disk are data storage devices there are some differences between them:

• Work Principle. While USB flash drive stores the data using flash memory, the U-Disk uses platters with magnetic material to store the data.
  • Speed. Usually, USB flash drives are faster than the U-Disk devices.

As you mention, the evkmimxrt1170_host_msd_fatfs_freertos_cm7 example supports UFI and SCSI U-Disk devices. You could try to test the example with an USB Flash drive, but it may not work with it.

Best regards, Raul.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mrd
Contributor III

Thanks for the feedback.  I guess the real question is whether the RT1176's SDK supports USB flash drive.  You explained that U-Disk is mechanically different, but it is unknown whether the current SDK supports a USB flash drive drive or not.  I would need to test it.  Taking time to do the testing required to check compatibility isn't in the schedule.  I will have to choose a different microcontroller where support is clear in the SDK's documentation.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
RaRo
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @mrd,

Even though, both the USB flash drive and the U-Disk are data storage devices there are some differences between them:

• Work Principle. While USB flash drive stores the data using flash memory, the U-Disk uses platters with magnetic material to store the data.
  • Speed. Usually, USB flash drives are faster than the U-Disk devices.

As you mention, the evkmimxrt1170_host_msd_fatfs_freertos_cm7 example supports UFI and SCSI U-Disk devices. You could try to test the example with an USB Flash drive, but it may not work with it.

Best regards, Raul.

0 Kudos