cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debug in SDRAM with bootloader

biafra
Senior Contributor I

Hi everyone,

I ask help to solve an annoying situation.

I'm working on a custom board with a RT1064 device, MCUXpresso 11.8.1 and PEMicro Univesal Multilink debugger.

In my board I use a custom bootloader that loads the application from the internal QSPI dataflash to the external SDRAM and then jumps to the apllication that runs in the SDRAM: everything is working fine.

I can debug the application in the SDRAM, using a script that initialize the SDRAM controller and loads the application. The problem is that when I start the debug session the bootloader starts and loads in SDRAM the application saved in flash, overwriting the application loaded with MCUXpresso.

To avoid this, I need to write a different application (a blinking led) in the internal flash: in such a case I can successfully debug the application loaded with MCUXpresso in the SDRAM.

So I need to program the bootloader in the internal flash to test the runtime behavior and the blinking led application to debug, switching when as I need.

Is there a way for the bootloader to distinguish that I'm debugging and avoid the application loading from flash to SDRAM?

Many thanks

Biafra

Labels (1)
3 Replies

Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @biafra ,

How did you set up the boot mode when you start the debug session? Was it in serial download mode? Please kindly clarify.

Have a great day,
Kan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

biafra
Senior Contributor I

Hi @Kan_Li,

Many thanks for your answer.

No, the boot mode is boot from fuses. I set serial download mode only when I need to program the application (boot loader or binking led) in the internal flash with MCUXpresso Secure Provisioning Tool.

Many thanks

Biafra

Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @biafra ,

Maybe the easiest way to solve this issue is putting the device into serial download mode before start the debug session.

Have a great day,
Kan

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.