cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using initrd or initramfs on imx28evk for temp rootfs

Jump to solution
blsousan
Contributor III

Has anyone used initrd or initramfs on the imx28evk for a rootfs in memory?  Or use them with u-boot?  I need the ability to do have a small temp rootfs to assist in mounting a full rootfs from a USB stick (for field upgrade purposes).

Thanks,

Bill

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
MarekVasut
Senior Contributor I

As for initrd , sure , the bootm command in U-Boot takes up to three arguments:

bootm <kernel uImage address> <initrd address> <FDT blob address>

So if you want your initrd to be passed to kernel , just supply the second argument.

Of course, you can also use initramfs and build the ramdisk into the kernel image if needed be. That's possible if you run 'make menuconfig' in the kernel source tree, navigate into 'General setup' -> 'Init RAM filesystem and RAM disk...' , check it and put path to your initramfs root dir into 'Initramfs source file(s)' . Note that if you have any /dev/ nodes in your initramfs's /dev/ , you might want to read Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt (you might want to read that anyway) section 'Populating initramfs' ...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

Bill

It seems that someone has answered the question. I will close the discussion. If you still have question, please reopen the DI or create another DI.

Regards,

Yixing

0 Kudos
sensaurabh
Contributor I

Hi, I would like to know this too. Any updates?

0 Kudos
MarekVasut
Senior Contributor I

As for initrd , sure , the bootm command in U-Boot takes up to three arguments:

bootm <kernel uImage address> <initrd address> <FDT blob address>

So if you want your initrd to be passed to kernel , just supply the second argument.

Of course, you can also use initramfs and build the ramdisk into the kernel image if needed be. That's possible if you run 'make menuconfig' in the kernel source tree, navigate into 'General setup' -> 'Init RAM filesystem and RAM disk...' , check it and put path to your initramfs root dir into 'Initramfs source file(s)' . Note that if you have any /dev/ nodes in your initramfs's /dev/ , you might want to read Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt (you might want to read that anyway) section 'Populating initramfs' ...

0 Kudos
YixingKong
Senior Contributor IV

Bill

We are sorry for getting back to you so late. Are you still stuck with the issue? If you have somehow to resolved the

issue, can we close the discussion? If you still need Freescale help, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks,

Yixing

0 Kudos
Gatts
Contributor I

I am in the same boat.. Did you make it work?. If yes, please let me know the detailed instructions.

0 Kudos