iMX28: ifconfig eth0 up stops gstreamer video stream.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX28: ifconfig eth0 up stops gstreamer video stream.

Jump to solution
Colin_MTData
Contributor III

Hi All,

We're having a problem with an iMX28 design whereby the "ifconfig eth0 up" causes a video recording to freeze.  The recording is started with something like:

gst-launch v4l2src ! image/jpeg,width=640,height=480,framerate=5/1 ! queue ! avimux ! filesink location=/tmp/xxx.avi sync=false

(Using module uvcvideo and a Logitech USB camera).

The recording proceeds OK with the file growing steadily. An 'ifconfig eth0 down" has no effect but a subsequent "ifconfig eth0 up" causes the stream to stop writing to the file.  The gst process doesn't exit.  If we ^C the gst process and start it again and everything is OK again.

The second scenario is to bring the eth0 down first.  In this case, sometimes, the recording stream doesn't start,  _but_ when "ifconfig eth0 up" is issued, the stream starts recording!

Does anyone have any idea how ethernet (ifconfig) can affect the USB video stream?

We're using hardware that, in the area of ethernet and USB, is equivalent to the iMX28-evk reference design. ARM kernel is 2.6.35.3.  (2.6.35.3-571-gcca29a0-svn55052 #8 PREEMPT Mon Feb 25 17:22:26 EST 2013 armv5tejl GNU/Linux).    All processes are run as root for this embedded hardware.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Understood, Colin

Just FYI: there is also a newer 2.6.35 release for mx28: i.MX 28 L2.6.35_1.1.0 release

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Colin,

Can you try a 3.8 kernel + this patch I sent:  [PATCH] ARM: mxs_defconfig: Make USB host functional again — ARM, OMAP, Xscale Linux Kerne...

and let us know if the issue is also present?

0 Kudos
Colin_MTData
Contributor III

Thanks Fabio,

We have only ever used the one kernel that came with Freescale’s initial LTIB installation: 2.5.65

I’ll try to get another kernel and work out how to use it instead, but

a) It’s not something I’ve done before so it may take some time to work out and get right.

b) I don’t know what effect it will have on our current product (which is already in the field using the original kernel, without a camera).

Regards,

Colin Moloney

Software/Hardware Engineer

Description: MTData Logo.jpg Description: cid:image002.png@01CCD6BC.385C98D0

Mobile Tracking and Data Pty Ltd | 20 Miles Street, Mulgrave VIC 3170

Ph: +61 3 9574 5700 | Fax: +61 3 9545 3867

<mailto:cmoloney@mtdata.com.au> cmoloney@mtdata.com.au ● <http://www.mtdata.com.au/> www.mtdata.com.au

This email and any attachments transmitted with it are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient or person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, you are prohibited from disclosing, copying or using the information contained in it. If you have received this email in error, please inform us by email reply and delete the message and attached documents. We use virus scanning software but exclude all liability for viruses or similar in any attachment.

0 Kudos
fabio_estevam
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Understood, Colin

Just FYI: there is also a newer 2.6.35 release for mx28: i.MX 28 L2.6.35_1.1.0 release

Regards,

Fabio Estevam

0 Kudos