i.Mx28, is there a way to change a device driver without rebuild zImage?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.Mx28, is there a way to change a device driver without rebuild zImage?

jlu
Contributor II

the CAN device driver at 2.6.35 does not output frames in the right order. we have fixed the issue in a later version. now I want to know how to push that fix to older devices already out in the field. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi jill jlu

I am afraid there is no way to push that fix without rebuilding image.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jlu
Contributor II

Hello igor,

Then is there a way to dynamically override a driver? Hard to believe an error in device drivers has to trigger a recall.

Thank you very much,

Jill

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jill

could you clarify for "dynamically override a driver", probably point to some example.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

jlu
Contributor II

Hello igor,

I mean override a driver after zImage has loaded, in anyway. I don't know how to do it. 

Specifically, I use socketcan. In the kernel the socketcan uses can driver; the can driver uses flexcan driver. The flexcan driver has bugs. I am looking for a way to load a new can driver (or flexcan driver) as loadable module and bind the socketcan to this new can driver. This new module will not be in the zImage. How to achieve that?

thank you,

Jill

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jill

I am afraid this is not feasible, sorry.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos