cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX8MM LPDDR4 EVK SD card image not booting

paul_geurts
Contributor III

Hi all,

We bought an i.MX8M mini LPDDR4 EVK board to try-out some stuff (8MMINILPD4-EVK). To be a bit flexible, I want it to boot completely from SD card. To get started, I followed the instructions in the i.MX Yocto Project User's Guide to flash an SD card with a complete .wic image. This _should_ also include a bootloader able to boot the board. So I built the image with yocto so it creates a .wic image, flashed it to SD card using dd (according to instructions) and set the boot switches on the board to boot from MicroSD/SDHC2.

But the board does not boot. Nothing happens on the serial port. I have tried pretty much all options I could think of, but I can't get it to boot from SD card. This is what I tried:

- imx-4.14.78-1.0.0_ga release
- imx-5.4.3-2.0.0 relase
- imx-5.4.24-2.1.0 release
- imx-5.4.47-2.2.0 release

- imx-image-core target
- imx-image-multimedia target

I configured the build system with "DISTRO=fsl-imx-wayland MACHINE=imx8mmlpddr4evk EULA=y source imx-setup-release.sh -b evk"

Then I added IMAGE_FSTYPES = "ext4 wic.bz2" ti local.conf to make the build work (as described in this thread). 

But that still doesn't work for some reason. I get absolutely nothing from the serial port. So I can also not really see what is going wrong. The kernels and filesystems work, but it seems the U-Boot bootloader from SD card is not doing what it should.

Can you give me a procedure or tell me what I am doing wrong to try to boot the LPDDR4 EVK board from SD card?

Note: The green status LED on the piggyback CPU board also stays off.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

paul_geurts
Contributor III

I even tried copying the existing bootloader in eMMC boot partition to the SD card. Also no success.

0 Kudos

Rita_Wang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Does it work now? Have you set the right boot mode for SD card? And you can use the uuu tool to download.

0 Kudos

paul_geurts
Contributor III

No it still doesn't work. I haven't used the UUU tool yet, because I haven't really got the time for finding documentation on how to build/use it. I did find out though that the Android BSP does work on SD card. But yeah that's a completely different BSP. But that at least tells me the boot mode selection switches for SD card are correct and working.

Have you set the right boot mode for SD card?

I set them as described in the hardware manual. So I guess so.

0 Kudos