cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX8M HDR10 Intro & Application Support

howard_kuo97
Contributor I

Hi NXP

My team and I are interested in knowing more info on the actual application / how-to for HDR10 implementation on i.MX8M.

Internet searches tend to only provide general idea of HDR10. 10 bits color depth, meta data which allows additional brightness info and gamma curve...etc. but does not provide much details on how HDR is achieved and what is needed for both HW & SW. 

Is the HDR10 processor for i.MX8M a plug-in and go solution? Being HW wise I can simply connect HDR10 source (WiFi streaming Netflix or HDR10 camera input form MIPI-CSI) and eDP LCD that supports HDR10?

0 Kudos
5 Replies

howard_kuo97
Contributor I

Hi Zhiming:

Thank you for the prompt response. For software is it ready for Linux? and is there a suggested testing method?

Sincerely,

Howard Kuo

0 Kudos

Zhiming_Liu
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi

i.MX8MP is most powerful evk now, it supports HDR camera capture and HDR display.

Tests:https://imxdev.gitlab.io/tutorial/How_to_use_dual_display_on_i.MX8_including_4k_decoding/ 

I don't recommand  i.MX8MQ personally.

BR

Zhiming

0 Kudos

Zhiming_Liu
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi

We realize the HDR10 and Dolby Vision in i.MX8MD/i.MX8MQ HW and software,you can use WiFi streaming Netflix to play HDR video.But the HDR camera needs driver porting.Display component is completed.

BR

Zhiming

0 Kudos

howard_kuo97
Contributor I

Hi Zhiming & NXP Team:

Upon further evaluation, for our application we would like to know if it is possible for MIPI-CSI camera input to be diverted into the i.MX8M HDR10 processor for output? Besides for the camera driver porting, it looks like i.MX8M only support BT2020 / ST2084 format? So we are wondering if there are other missing links or a need for additional ISP? We would like to know if it is even feasible.

0 Kudos

Zhiming_Liu
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

1. if it is possible for MIPI-CSI camera input to be diverted into the i.MX8M HDR10 processor for output

>>>Yes,8mp support(only 8mp has isp)

2.HDR support:
— HDR10 with 2084 and 2020 color spaces
— Dolby Vision single and dual layer formats
— HLG

3.ISP

The ISP is connected to a MIPI-CSI interface and receives 1 pixel/clock from the CSI Rx
Controller. Key features of the ISP include:

• Input Formats:
• YCbCr420
• YCbCr422
• RAW8
• RAW10
• RAW12
• RAW14
• Wide Dynamic Range (local tone mapping)
• High Dynamic Range (HDR)
• Native HDR sensor with compand output and max 14-bit compressed input
• 2-exposure and 3-exposure line-interleaved (staggered) HDR
• Full resolution for multiple exposures is output by the image sensor, and the
sensor outputs are interleaved on a per-line basis. No impact to vertical
resolution, but frame rate is reduced by a factor of 2 (for 2-exposure HDR)
or 3 (for 3-exposure HDR).
• Referred to as DOL-HDR (Digital Overlap High Dynamic Range) and as
Staggered HDR (12-bit x3)
• A separate Dewarp engine is also supported to adjust an image (i.e. fisheye lens) at a
resolution up to the max resolution supported by the ISP.

0 Kudos