Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX6QP + Qt5 Cinematic graphics issue

Jump to solution
gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

Running the Qt5 Cinematic Experience shows some graphics issues on 6QP only.

Here are some details on the setup to reproduce the issue:

- Qt5.5 or Qt5.6 (tested with both)

- Yocto Jethro or Buildroot master (as of today, for latest graphics libraries support)

- Using a platform that supports both 6Q and 6QP, in my case the Nitrogen6_MAX and Nitrogen6QP_MAX, the cpu is the only difference

- Kernel 3.14.53, in my case:

GitHub - boundarydevices/linux-imx6 at boundary-imx_3.14.52_1.1.0_ga: Boundary Devices Kernel tree f...

-> this issue was also present with 3.14.38-6qp-beta + p6.x libraries, but at the time it was beta so not worth mentioning

- imx-gpu-viv + kernel-module-imx-gpu-viv version 5.0.11 p7.4

- Qt5 Cinematic Experience:

http://quitcoding.com/download/Qt5_CinematicExperience_rpi_1.0.tgz

meta-qt5/cinematicexperience_1.0.bb at master · meta-qt5/meta-qt5 · GitHub

Please find attached two screenshots, one shows the output when running on a 6Q, the other is running on the 6QP, using the exact same SDCard, exact same kernel, only the device tree differs (includes imx6q.dtsi in one case, imx6qp.dtsi in the other).

Please dismiss the tearing that can be seen in those screenshots, this is due to the software used to grab the framebuffer (fbgrab) which doesn't wait for vsync. Instead, focus on the rectangles around the different stars that appears on the background. It sounds like some alpha blending isn't managed properly on the 6QP.

Let me know if you have any question regarding the issue, which hopefully will be fixed in next Vivante release.

Regards,

Gary

1 Solution
gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

Just tried using 5.0.11p8.3 Vivante libraries + kernel module on top of my 3.14.52 kernel and I couldn't reproduce the issue with FB libraries (X11 libraries already working with p7.4 + GPU_VIV_EXT_RESOLVE=1).

Also tried to set GPU_VIV_EXT_RESOLVE to 0 in order to see if it could trigger it back and it seems the problem is gone for good.

danielleloader​, you can grab this mbox to be applied on top of jethro meta-fsl-arm (until it gets merged):

http://patches.openembedded.org/bundle/gbisson/viv_5.0.11-p8.3/mbox/

Once you confirm this works for you too, I'll mark the thread as resolved.

There is still this mystery of p7.4 where it works for chinglingwang​ in FB mode but does not for Danielle and I. But if it is confirmed that p8.3 is a solution that works for everyone I think it is safe to close that issue.

Regards,

Gary

View solution in original post

30 Replies
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Gary Bisson,

Our team will investigate so I would need to ask you for some patience.

In the meantime, would it be possible for you to reproduce this issue on an NXP board using the latest NXP BSP release?

Regards,

0 Kudos
VladanJovanovic
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Reproduced on i.MX 6QP SABRE SDB. Please see here:

iMX6 Quad Plus Display issue

0 Kudos
gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi Vladan,

Thanks, but your link goes to a unauthorized page. Can you grant me access?

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Gary Bisson,

I'm not sure if you got access granted. But in summary the issue was reproduced. Export FB_MULTI_BUFFER=3 shall fix the issue.

Two buffers seem not to be enough. Next release will most likely have three by default.

Regards,

0 Kudos
gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi gusarambula​,

No I still don't have access to the issue, please grant me the access.

I confirm what Danielle said, this FB_MULTI_BUFFER export does NOT change anything, the issue is still present. Please make sure to look at my screenshots and Danielle's to understand/reproduce the issue.

Regards,

Gary

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Gary Bisson,

I've added the information from Danielle's Post to the escalation and we'll keep you informed. (I'm not sure if you may be granted access to the internal escalation though)

Regards,

0 Kudos
gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately I only have Boundary Devices platforms which is why I pointed to both the source code and the Yocto recipe of the Qt5 Cinematic demo so anyone could build the app for testing.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos
gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Gary Bisson,

I understand. Please have a bit of patience and we'll update this thread when we have more information on this matter.

Regards,

0 Kudos
gary_bisson
Senior Contributor III

Hi,

I confirm the bug exists with both X11 and FB/EGLFS back-ends.

Here is another app that shows the same issue:

qt5-nmap-carousel-demo - NotABug.org: Free code hosting

Regards,

Gary

danielleloader
Contributor III

We are also experiencing this issue on a custom iMX6Q based board.

We have made up some boards with QuadPlus parts which show this issue in our Qt SceneGraph based apps as well the Cinematic demo - exactly as in your screenshots. The same apps running on the original non-Plus boards do not exhibit the issue.

So far we have not been able to find any way to improve the situation through framebuffer settings, Qt and/or EGLFS configuration.

0 Kudos