fsl-community-bsp-platform vs meta-imx & imx-docker

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fsl-community-bsp-platform vs meta-imx & imx-docker

jhngiam
Contributor I

Hi I am rather new to i.MX development, please help.

I am working on a custom project that uses i.MX6Q and I am using yocto version Kirkstone

So far I have been working on the fsl-community-bsp-platform and in attempts to Docker-ize my project, I have tried to use imx-docker as provided by NXP. However, it seems that this docker is using meta-imx instead of fsl-community-bsp-platform and I cant simply insert my later on top of meta-imx to get it to work.

Question 1: What is the fundamental difference between these 2 layers and why is it done this way?

It seems that in fsl-community-bsp I am able to get linux kernel 6.1 but on meta-imx the kernel version is tagged to the yocto version (which i supposed is the "right" way) i.e. Kirkstone -> linux kernel 5.15 and Mickledore -> linux kernel 6.1. Since I started on fsl-community-bsp, I am now stuck with running Kirkstone but using linux kernel 6.1 which is not possible if I use the imx-docker.

Question 2: How do I resolve this?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Chavira
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @jhngiam !

Thank you for contacting NXP Support!

Each layer is for different purposes.

The layer "fsl-community-bsp-platform" is made and maintained by the community.

Please check our Yocto Project user guide to see the different layers that we offer and how to approach the software that we offer.

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/IMX_YOCTO_PROJECT_USERS_GUIDE.pdf

Best Regards!

Chavira

0 Kudos