Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video output on USB-C on imx8m plus

Jump to solution
inzenjer-banderas
Contributor I

Hello everybody,

We are planning to use an IMX8M PLUS based board for an embedded application which would include some sort of a screen to display graphical data. Since HDMI is not an option, I was wondering if it was possible to configure any Linux distribution/BSP to output video on its USB-C interface?

I must say that I am by no means expert in video related technologies and therefore couldn't find this information nor make much sense of other sources on the internet.

Best regards,

Lazar

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

The kernel 5.10 and up, can do that, but you will need to have a module that its not implemented for MX8MP.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
inzenjer-banderas
Contributor I

Hello,

Thank you for your prompt answer. Just one more question, by module you mean software module, right?

Best Regards

0 Kudos
guysoft
Contributor I

Hey,

Did you manage to figure out which driver/device tree setting is needed to get this to work?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Yes, that's correct

0 Kudos
inzenjer-banderas
Contributor I

Thank you very much.

Best regards

0 Kudos
relaxibus
Contributor II
Hi, can you disclose if it works? I'm also looking for the same. Would like to use either VGA or HDMI.
0 Kudos
inzenjer-banderas
Contributor I

Hello @relaxibus, at the end I  gave up trying to do it with USB, so I cannot confirm whether it works or not. Maybe somebody from NXP can tell us if that kernel module has been implemented for iMX8MP or not?

0 Kudos
relaxibus
Contributor II
Thanks, I made a reply to NXP here, you can see the driver links now available for Ubuntu. May be it helps to achieve the goal.
0 Kudos
Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

The kernel 5.10 and up, can do that, but you will need to have a module that its not implemented for MX8MP.

Regards

0 Kudos
relaxibus
Contributor II
Hi, I'm also looking for the same. Would like to use either VGA or HDMI. Will it works now with the USB 3.0 driver for Displaylink: https://www.synaptics.com/products/displaylink-graphics/downloads/ubuntu
https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/683482-displaylink-support-for-ubuntu-now-ava...
0 Kudos