cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TFTPboot over USB OTG

Jump to solution
varsmolta
Contributor V

Is it possible to tftpboot the kernel and rootfs over USB OTG on the imx6. I think I would have to enable ethernet over the USB OTG connection. I don't have the Ethernet pins brought out on my custom board so am looking for a solution over USB OTG port. Has anyone done this? What are the steps to enable this in the kernel?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
EricNelson
Senior Contributor II

Yep. We're doing that on a very regular basis. This is especially useful when we load up boards with on-board eMMC.

We added this into our 2014.01 release of U-Boot and some details are in this post:

http://boundarydevices.com/u-boot-2014-01/#details

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
EricNelson
Senior Contributor II

Yep. We're doing that on a very regular basis. This is especially useful when we load up boards with on-board eMMC.

We added this into our 2014.01 release of U-Boot and some details are in this post:

http://boundarydevices.com/u-boot-2014-01/#details

0 Kudos
varsmolta
Contributor V

thanks for that link. One more question: is it possible to use this in the 2009.08 u-boot version from boundarydevices? If not, can I back port changes into 2009.08? Thanks

0 Kudos
EricNelson
Senior Contributor II

I don't really know the state of the 2009.08 release, but I don't believe USB OTG is functional, or at least not as a network device.

What's your reason for wanting to back-port?

0 Kudos
varsmolta
Contributor V

I am using an off the shelf imx6 board from bluechiptechnology called the RM3. They only support the 2009.08 release of u-boot. I could try to use the mainline 2014 u-boot version from boundarydevices and try to add the RM3 board support into it. How big of an effort would that be if I started with the nitrogen6x config? Could I do it in a couple of days? I've never really tweaked u-boot code before.

0 Kudos
EricNelson
Senior Contributor II

All I can say is that you should talk to your vendor. Porting U-Boot versions isn't something you should dive into with an expectation of a quick fix.

It seems that this message thread has drifted off of the original topic, and I think the original question is answered. If you want to discuss porting the U-Boot version for this board, please start another topic.

0 Kudos