cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Booting IMX6UL eMMC board with u-boot.imx

nicolas_s1
Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm using the evalboard from Variscite with the IMX6UL SOM.
Variscite is using SPL+u-boot.img flashed into /dev/mmcblk1 as explained into the eMMC flash procedure.
I'm trying to use u-boot.imx instead of SPL+u-boot.img.
I have added a new imximage.cfg with ddr3 configuration and it's working fine when I use imx_usb_loader to load u-boot.imx image.
But I cannot boot the board when I flash u-boot.imx instead of SPL+u-boot.img into the eMMC. The image is flashed at 0x400 offset into /dev/mmcblk1 as it's done for SPL+u-boot.img.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks

Nicolas

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

vigneshjayaram
Contributor I

nicolas.s

Hi, 

How did you boot the image using SD card? Do you have any links for it?

Thanks

Regards,

Vignesh Jayaram

0 Kudos

nicolas_s1
Contributor II

Hi Vignesh,

It was a big mistake on my side with boot gpio configuration.

It's working fine now.

I forgot to put the question in solved.

Nicolas

efge
Contributor II

Hi,

my problem was that the eMMC was not set up to boot from it. I switched to boot from normal eMMC user area using the mmc util (e.g. from pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/cjb/mmc-utils - Git at Google):

# mmc bootpart enable 7 1 /dev/mmcblkX

This sets the ext_csd boot partition flags. One can also set these bits to boot from one of the eMMC Boot partitions (e.g. /dev/mmcblkXboot0 or /dev/mmcblkXboot1). Just search for "ext_csd boot partition config" to get more information about it.

Regards

Fabian

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Nicolas

one can check u-boot.imx programming it on other media like sd and try

to boot. Then boot to linux and program emmc using commands used by

mfg tools (check ucl2.xml file). Mfg tools can be found on software resources link

i.MX 6 / i.MX 7 Series Software and Development Tool|NXP 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

nicolas_s1
Contributor II

Hi igor,

I try to boot this uboot.imx image using the SD card and it's working fine.
But on the eMMC it doesn't work and the imx6ul finished in Serial download mode.
I looked at ucl2.xml and I use the same command dd if=u-boot.imx of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=1K seek=1

It's really strange because I'm able to boot on the eMMC using SPL+u-boot.img

Regards
Nicolas

0 Kudos