cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended i.MX8 learning platform?

Raal
Contributor III

Hello,

I want to learn embedded Linux and decided to use i.MX8 as platform. I'm especially interested in developing hardware drivers and also using the integrated Cortex-M4 processor. I came across several development kits, obviously with different features. The most interesting kit is the Coral development kit because it seems to be relatively cheap compared to other i.MX8 kits and additionally has an AI accelerator.

The Coral devkit seems to be primarily intended for evaluation of the AI accelerators, the way how to build the corresponding Linux system is more or less forced by Coral according to the documentation. Since I want to use it as a learning platform for embedded Linux in general, I wonder if it's possible to build Linux with whatever tool I like to use, e.g. Yocto, Buildroot, etc. or am I bound to the solutions offered by the board manufacturer?

Recommendations for other, better suited kits for my goals are also welcome.

Regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Zhiming_Liu
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

1.We support Yocto , and Coral is compatible with EVK from hardware.

2.You can find documents from our website:

https://www.nxp.com/design/software/embedded-software/i-mx-software/embedded-linux-for-i-mx-applicat...

3.If you want to learn driver, you need go to kernel document

0 Kudos

Raal
Contributor III

Hello @Zhiming_Liu ,

1. We support Yocto , and Coral is compatible with EVK from hardware

That means the only thing which must be added would be the Coral AI device driver, any other driver needed for the Coral devkit to build a Linux image is included within the NxP BSP?

3. If you want to learn driver, you need go to kernel document

You mean kernel documentation? If yes, that would be a future step. First thing would be learning how to get a Linux image up and running

Regards

0 Kudos

Raal
Contributor III

Hello Joseph & Bob,

thank you for your answers.

Joseph: I feared that I'd be bound to the manufacturers solution So, it seems that the Coral devkit isn't well suited for my needs. I search for another board.

Bob: that looks very interesting, I'll read the book(s)

Regards

0 Kudos

josephzhou1
Contributor V

bound to the solutions offered by the board manufacturer

Best Regards,
Joseph Zhou Jianhui / Senior Embedded Software Engineer, Singapore
0 Kudos

bobpaddock
Senior Contributor III

Linux From Scratch (LFS) is a project that provides you with step-by-step instructions for building your own custom Linux system, entirely from source code.

https://www.linuxfromscratch.org

0 Kudos