Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question, i.MX6Solo Max supply current

Jump to solution
Aemj
Contributor IV

Hi team,

I would like to ask about Maximum Supply Current described in i.MX6S/DL datasheet.

In the datasheet, the following equation is written as a general equation for estimated power consumption.

Imax = N x C x V x (0.5 x F)

And datasheet says that C stands for ‘Equivalent external capacitive load’.

Could you show me what the ‘external capacitive load’ stands for?

I think the ‘external capacitive load’ means the total capacitive load connected to IO pins.

Correct?

Thanks,

Miyamoto

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

You are right, the "equivalent external capacitive load" - this is capacity of external load, connected

to GPIO pin, usually ~ (2 - 5) pF. This parameter may be estimated, using IBIS file (of the external device).

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

You are right, the "equivalent external capacitive load" - this is capacity of external load, connected

to GPIO pin, usually ~ (2 - 5) pF. This parameter may be estimated, using IBIS file (of the external device).

Have a great day,
Yuri

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Aemj
Contributor IV

Hi Yuri,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

I think the C stands for the capacitive load connected to one GPIO pin.

Assuming that the parameters as below, is the following equation correct?

N = 100

C = 2 [pF]

V = 3.3 [V]

F = 792 [MHz]

Imax = 100 x 2[pF] x 3.3[V] x (0.5 x 792[MHz]) = 261 [mA]

Thanks,

Miyamoto

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I think the frequency of 792 Mhz is very high, since it is internal core frequency.

It would be better to use real frequency on the pin ; say, for Etherenet it may be 25 MHz.

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos
Aemj
Contributor IV

Hi Yuri,

Thanks a lot.

I appeared to misunderstand about F.

Thanks,

Miyamoto

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

F - is typical frequency outputs / toggles on a pin during operations.

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos