Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSCALE-Can't open USB device

Jump to solution
PBR
Contributor IV

Hi,

I am using a iMX8QxP MEK evaluation board and I would like to use NXP i.MX/Mscale DDR Tool V3.20.

- The MEK eval board is in Serial mode (switches: 0001)

- I open Mscale as administrator on a Windows PC

- I plug USB-C from the MEK eval board to the Win PC: on the Device Manager window, I can see HID-compliant device + USB Input device displayed

- I plug the debug USB from the MEK eval board to the Win PC: now, when I click "Search" button of the Mscale window, I can see 4 COMs.

- In the Mscale window:

o I select one of the 4 COMs

o I click on "Connect" button

o I select a DDR script (for example,.../script/mx8m/mx8m_micron_lpddr4_3gb_2d_1600m_200m_50m_32bit_RPAv25.ds)

o Target =MX8M, Clock=Default, DDR=LPDDR4, Density=Default (values by default but are they correct?)

o I click on "Download" button

I have this message:

ERROR: Can't open USB device!!!
Please check if the correct target is selected and set to the serial download mode.

I tried with the 4 COMs, same result.

I tried with another PC, same result.

I am sure the MEK board is in serial mode as I can use uuu to download a new program.

Is my Mscale version correct? (V3.20)

I run out of ideas... If you have any suggestions, please tell me.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

for this you may refer to the following guide, I think this may be useful to understand more about the SCFW:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/System-Controller-Firmware-101-Getting-s...

Also, you may refer to the documentation inside the porting kit.

Best regards,
Aldo.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PBR
Contributor IV

Hello Aldo,

Thank you for your help, yes it works.

The win app does not generate code and it is now the Excel file which generates the code to program DDR memory with the SCU firmware.

My understanding is the Uboot does not have to be changed anymore but I have to rebuild SCU firmware. Am I right?

I am using Yocto project. How could I integrate data from "DCD CFG" excel's tab in the bootloader's code?
Do you have any document which explains how to build SCU firmware?

Thank you for your help.
Best regards

0 Kudos
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Glad to hear that it is now working, it is pretty straight forward, as specified in the community document:

DCD CFG file: This format is the configuration file used specifically by the SCU Firmware (SCFW). In this scenario, the user copies the contents in this worksheet tab and pastes it to a text file, naming the document with the “.cfg” file extension and placing this file in the appropriate SCFW board file directory.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Aldo.

0 Kudos
PBR
Contributor IV

Hello Aldo,

Yes, I have understood we can create a CFG file with the contents of the worksheet "DCD CFG" tab but my problem is how to use it.

I have a iMX8QxP MEK evaluation board and I am using Yocto project.
I have the UM11455-V2X_RoadLINK_Software_User_Manual.pdf and the UM11456-V2X_RoadLINK_Software_Developer_Manual.pdf documents.
But unfortunately I have no clue about SCU or SCFW.

So I would like to know:
- where I could find SCFW sources
- how to build SCFW with the "DCD CFG" file
- how to integrate in the Yocto project.

Thank you for your help.
Best regards.

0 Kudos
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

for this you may refer to the following guide, I think this may be useful to understand more about the SCFW:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/System-Controller-Firmware-101-Getting-s...

Also, you may refer to the documentation inside the porting kit.

Best regards,
Aldo.

0 Kudos
PBR
Contributor IV

Thank you Aldo, it works.

Best regards

0 Kudos
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

You're using the incorrect version of the tool, please try with this one:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX-8-8X-Family-DDR-Tools-Release/ta-p/...

There you'll find the mx8_ddr_stress_test_ER14_installation.zip for download, please try it.

Best regards,
Aldo.

0 Kudos