MIMXRT1170-EVK Boot from Flash troubleshooting

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIMXRT1170-EVK Boot from Flash troubleshooting

PeteHawkins
Contributor II

I am using a MIMXRT1170-EVK with MCUXpresso and a J-Link Ultra+ for programming/debugging.  This was initially working perfectly with the default QSPI NOR Flash and a variety of the SDK demo applications.

I wanted to switch to Octal Flash, so I changed the resistor and DIP switch settings, but could not get applications to run from the octal flash.  The fsl_romapi_cm7 demo app linked to run from RAM also reported an error trying to identify the flash.  So, I changed the resistors and DIP switches back to the initial settings for QSPI flash.

On first power up after changing things back, the last demo application I had used with the QSPI flash booted and ran as expected.  The fsl_romapi_cm7 demo app (run from RAM) also runs and completes successfully.  However, now when I try to program and debug a demo app from the QSPI flash, it appears to get stuck in the NXP ROM bootloader.  I have quadruple checked that the resistors are set correctly (and I can apparently read and program the flash successfully), and the DIP switches are set for Internal Boot from QSPI (all switches off except SW1-3).

If I click the "pause" button in MCUXpresso, it breaks with the PC register at 0x23104, which is somewhere in the bootloader ROM.  If I dump memory I see the FCFB at 0x30000400 and the Program Vector table at 0x30001030.  The program vector table has a program entrypoint of 0x300024e9, and the code at 0x300024e9 appears to be a valid entry point (ResetISR) for the demo app.

How should I go about troubleshooting this to determine why it isn't booting correctly?

Thank you,

Pete

0 Kudos
3 Replies

myee_
Contributor II

Hi @PeteHawkins , 

I believe I am having very similar issues. Were you ever able to come up with a solution to this problem? Thanks!!

0 Kudos

Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @PeteHawkins ,

Which demo app was got stuck in the end?  Have you run the demo of SDK_2_14_0_MIMXRT1170-EVK\boards\evkmimxrt1170\driver_examples\flexspi\nor\polling_transfer\cm7 ? did it work as expected? Please kindly clarify.

Have a great day,
Kan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

PeteHawkins
Contributor II

All apps fail if run from Flash, and work if run from RAM.  I have found, that switching from J-Link to CMSIS-DAP fixes the problem.  If I switch back to J-Link, it fails again in the same way.  

0 Kudos