MFG Tools for Linux

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MFG Tools for Linux

netstv
Contributor II

I'm working on the iMX28 and was wondering if anyone has ported the Mfgtools to linux?  If not, we will be starting that effort shortly and I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks in advance.

-stv

Tags (1)
22 Replies

bba
Contributor III

Thanks, I've tested both implementations, the version from Steve as well as the rockbox version. Both versions running very well on 64bit-xubuntu.

But there is a similar tool from freescale, which will be used to load an otpinit.sb image writting the OTP bits. It also loads an *.sb via USB but additional it sends a different command to the imx28 writing the otp bits.

Does anybody knows a implementation running on linux?

Regards,

BBa

0 Kudos

MatthiasFuchs
Contributor II

The rockbox project (www.rockbox.org) has a Linux (libusb based) version of sbloader.

It works fine with i.MX28 (tested with u-boot download). The sourcecode can be found in the project's

sourcecode repository.

Matthias

0 Kudos

matthiasV
Contributor I

Dear Matthias

I need to overwrite the OTP-Fuses of mx287. Via freescale's python script Otp_burner(part of the package imx_otp_tools.zip) I am able to produce a sb-file which holds all changes to the fuses. I sucessfuly used Bitint.exe (also part of the zip) in order to change the fuses but I was wondering if there is any linux alternative? It seems like BitInit transfers the sb and executes it.

Am I correct that rockbox holds sufficient tools to write and execute that image?

I have just tested rockbox sbloader and did not suceed. Can you or someone else who already did it overlook my taken steps?

I use Ubuntu 11.10 32 bit and followed following instructions

1. git clone
  2. setup correct toolchain for rockbox to build via its included script "tools/rockboxdev.sh". I followed these instructions [1]. I overmore installed libusb-1.0-dev
  3. mkdir rockbox/build && cd build && ../tools/configure && mak
  4. cd rockbox/utils/imxtools/sbtools && make
  5. execute newly created sbtools-executable with following paramters: sudo ./sbtools 0 <sb-file>

the first param will tell sbtools to use some init value (according to source-code)

sb-file is my OtpInit.sb which was created by Otp_burner - python - script

I receive following output

Found a match for 15a2:004f

Transfer size: 1024

But unfortunately no bits are changed. (Checked via Windows tool BitBurner.exe)

Thank you for any help,

Regards,

Matthias

[0] http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaFuzePlusPort search for "mkimxboot"

[1] http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/CrossCompiler

0 Kudos

JamesAttewell
Contributor I

Hi Chris,

Did you manage to find out about what the protocol is for releasing the source code for the MFG Tool is? We are really desperate to sort this now as we are nearing full production. If you can't release the code to us can you let me know who to speak to please?

Thanks for your help

James

0 Kudos

andrew_questps
Contributor III
Any update?

James Attewell said:

Hi Chris,

Have you managed to sort out a way to release the full source code to the Windows version of the MfgTool yet?

Cheers

James

Chris Williamson said:

Ahhh. I understand now, and I do agree that you would need the MfgTool source code to implement this. We have a package put together and releasable. I'm just checking on release protocol for this forum and see how best to get it to you.

Chris 

0 Kudos

JamesAttewell
Contributor I
Thanks Steve! Much appreciated...

Steve Iribarne said:

Here it is...

This uses libusb which you may need to install on your system.

Steve Iribarne said:

Whoops.. sorry.. gathering stuff now.
0 Kudos

JamesAttewell
Contributor I

Hi Chris,

Have you managed to sort out a way to release the full source code to the Windows version of the MfgTool yet?

Cheers

James

Chris Williamson said:

Ahhh. I understand now, and I do agree that you would need the MfgTool source code to implement this. We have a package put together and releasable. I'm just checking on release protocol for this forum and see how best to get it to you.

Chris 

0 Kudos

netstv
Contributor II

Here it is...

This uses libusb which you may need to install on your system.

Steve Iribarne said:

artyeffem
Contributor II

Thanks Steve.  Just what I was looking for.  Here is a version that works with libusb-1.0

0 Kudos

netstv
Contributor II
0 Kudos

SJA
Contributor II

Can you post the code for the linux version of the USB downloader ?

Thanks .. Stuart

0 Kudos

JamesAttewell
Contributor I

Excellent, thanks Chris. That will save us an awful lot of work re-inventing the wheel ;)

James

0 Kudos

ChrisWilliamson
Contributor III

Chris 

0 Kudos

JamesAttewell
Contributor I

Thanks Steve. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

James

0 Kudos

netstv
Contributor II
I can give you guys pointers as to what we did.. but today I'm in the middle of a release.. so let me get that done and I'll do it either tonight or tomorrow AM.
0 Kudos

JamesAttewell
Contributor I

Hi Chris,

Yes, we would use the mfg linux kernel to do what we need to on the target (such as writing the serial number to a file etc) but we need to get that unique serial number from somewhere and short of modifying the ucl.xml script for every device (putting serial number etc inside the script) we flash there is no way I can see of getting this information over the target device. This is why I want to be able to call a Windows program from the MfgTool, this would pass the serial number and other info back to the MfgTool, which in turn would send it to the device. Is there no chance of getting the code for the MfgTool from you/Freescale so we can make these modifications?

0 Kudos

ChrisWilliamson
Contributor III

Hi James, I guess I was thinkint that you would use the mfg Linux kernel running in RAM on the device to do what you needed. Calling another Windows program is definately outside the scope of the MfgTool.

As far as downloading code over USB and jumping to it, maybe Steve can pass the link to the sb_loader.exe code that he ported to Linux.

Chris

0 Kudos

JamesAttewell
Contributor I

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the quick answer. I have looked at all the docs that come with it and I can't see a way of calling another Windows executable from within the script to be able to do this? Can you describe how you would do it?

I would still like the source code if possible as I want to know how to do USB transfers from Windows in the same way as the MfgTool does. Can you supply a download link for it please?

Thanks

James

0 Kudos

ChrisWilliamson
Contributor III

James, you should be able to just add lines to the ucl.xml script file to accomplish the things you are trying to do without changing firmware or host code.

Chris

0 Kudos

JamesAttewell
Contributor I

Hi Steve/Chris,

Where can I get the source code for the MfgTool? I would like to modify it so that we can program unique serial numbers and other information during production.

James

0 Kudos