Kernel Error when writing to CAAM Encrypted Partition

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel Error when writing to CAAM Encrypted Partition

gilmoreat
Contributor II

We are currently running into an issue were we are getting a kernel error every once in a while when writing to an encrypted partition set up following AN12714 Rev. 2. Sometimes the kernel will report a crash saying "Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address". I was able to recreate the crash by using the dd command to write a large file to the encrypted partition. However, it does not seem to cause the crash every time. Below is some more information on our hardware setup:

• i.MX8QM
    • custom board closely resembling the i.MX8QM MEK (same RAM layout/chip/settings)
  • linux-imx : lf-6.1.22-2.0.0
  • differences from AN12714
    • encrypted.img is 10GB instead of 32MB

Do you have any idea what the cause of this crash could be? is there any issue to how we are using the CAAM?

@rlgagliardo 

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Harvey021
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Have you tried to refer to the <10 Security> Linux user Guide IMX_LINUX_USERS_GUIDE.pdf. an12714 was not recommended.

Regards

Harvey

0 Kudos

gilmoreat
Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. After further troubleshooting, it looks like it is not specifically tied to the CAAM encryption. I was able to get an crash by just creating 6 threads of "yes > /dev/null". 

I was looking through the IMX8_1N94W errata document and ERR050104 mentioned a cache coherency issue. Could this be related to the crash? Is there already a patch in the kernel to address this issue?

0 Kudos