JTAG connection issue with i.MXRT1160EVK

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JTAG connection issue with i.MXRT1160EVK

vishnusudhankj
Contributor III

In the following situations, we are having JTAG connection problems with the i.MXRT1160 EVK board:

The below options are tried to make sure having problem with the EVK.

1. Connecting JTAG with i. MXRT1160 EVK platform
    1. Before connecting to i. MXRT1160EVK platform, the JTAG shows green LED indications.
    2. After connecting JTAG to the platform, within a few seconds, the green LED turns orange.
    3. After that, JTAG stays with an orange light until unplugged from the board.

Once we get an orange LED indication in JTAG, we can’t connect or flash with JTAG.

1. Erase flash through SPT and program a sample LED program.
    1. Just for checking, try to erase the already loaded program through the Secure Provisioning tool and the programmed sample LED program through SDP mode.
    2. After that, try to connect JTAG to the platform; again, the same issue is observed, like the JTAG LED turning orange.
  1. Erase flash through blhost - to make sure not having issue with software
    1. Erase complete flash through BLHOST           
    2. Connected JTAG with i.MXRT platform & observed same issue.

After this issue, we can’t detect the hardware in SDP mode until the JTAG is unplugged from the device & vice versa.

Voltage measurement:

First, we thought there might be a problem with the board supply voltage, so we unplugged the JTAG and looked at the RESET pin (J1.15), which showed a 1.5Vdc voltage. The voltage level on the nSRST pin decreased to 0.5Vdc after re-connecting the JTAG, demonstrating that the board is constantly in a reset state. Due to this behavior, the green LED on the JTAG side changes from green to orange.  As a result, we are unable to connect the JTAG to the board for flashing or other operations. This issue is present on all five EVK boards we have.

Attached video in the attachment. 

Note: We attempted to connect via SDP mode, but the connection failed due to the low reset pin.

Also, tried by checking the 6sx board, we measured the 15th pin in the JTAG connector, and after connecting with the platform, it remains in green LED indication, and the voltage also remains at 3.0 volts.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies

Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, sorry for the late response, I reviewed your information, but could you tell me more information about the power supply, how are you connect the board to the power supply? I mean the RT1176 must be connected with an external USB cable in the Power.

Pavel_Hernandez_0-1686610487643.png

And the jumper in the 5v.

Pavel_Hernandez_1-1686610582554.png

Let me know if you have more doubts.

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos

vishnusudhankj
Contributor III

Hello,
Thank you for your response.

I attempted both of the scenarios listed below.

1. Connected the board to an external power supply using a power adapter (5V) and the appropriate jumper settings (connected across 1 and 2).

2. I connected the board to an external USB cable and made the necessary jumper settings (connected across 3 and 4).

In all cases, I am experiencing the identical problem as described above.

0 Kudos

Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, could you try with another external debugger to isolate if the problem is not the board?

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos

vishnusudhankj
Contributor III

Hello,

We have two JTAG debugger, both of them having same issue.

Same debuggers connects with other platform like i.mx6sx evk as already mentioned.

0 Kudos

Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, let me research more information about this case.

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos

vishnusudhankj
Contributor III

Hello, 

Any update in this issue?

0 Kudos

Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, sorry I do not have more information, how can I reproduce the same behavior?

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos

vishnusudhankj
Contributor III

Simply, when I connecting the board with JTAG, I am getting the orange LED (as provided earlier in video) & unable to flash. 

0 Kudos

Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, I suggest reviewing if this issue appears with the debugger on the board, I recommend replacing it with the segger J-Link, I mean update the firmware with LPCScrypt LPCScrypt v2.1.2 | NXP Semiconductors. I could not support you with this issue, maybe is a hardware problem with your debugger.

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos

Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, my name is Pavel, and I will be supporting your case, let me get into your case and when I have more information, I will contact you.

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos