Is it possible to create a updater.sb for the imx233 (stmp3780) that only has 8M sdram and no sdcard slot?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create a updater.sb for the imx233 (stmp3780) that only has 8M sdram and no sdcard slot?

jchaise
Contributor I

I have successfully initialized and tested the memory with the bootlets build via ltib, and loaded with the mfgtool.

When the kernel decompresses it will not fit in memory with the rootfs.

Should I start out with a already uncompressed kernel Image?

Is it possible to create a single ramdisk that has the kernel and the rootfs in it and load that into sdram?

This could be a read only rootfs right?

Should I invest time in yocto or stay with ltib?

I do not want to reinvent the wheel, just get a image flashed to the nand and spend my time developing it.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

in the imx-bootlets-src source code, there is a updater.bd or updater_ivt.bd. you can change the size of the space for loading the initramfs.

load 0.b> 0x40800000..0x40d00000;

You can increase the 0x40d00000 to fit your ramfs.

0 Kudos

jchaise
Contributor I

Thank you for your reply jimmychan;

As i understand it the load 0.b > 0xstartAddress..0xendAddress will write 0 (zeros) to a location in memory. My issue is more that the compressed kernel and rootFs use more that 8M of memory.

I think a custom kernel can be created that is NOT compressed to start with, so both the compressed and decompressed kernel (zImage vs Image) are not in memory at the same time.

If I modify the bootlets for my board (power_prep, boot_prep) can I wrap them (elftosb2) with a prebuild kernel from the sdk?

Does my kernel need to be recompiled for my board (memory, power) or is the kernel compiled for the chip (imx233)?

thank you.

0 Kudos