cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX8M- MINI PCIe throughput ?

glen1
Contributor I

HI

What is the maximum throughput of the IMX8M Mini PCIe interface ? (under ideal conditions) .

I can find test data for the IMX6, but not the IMX8 ?

I found the IMX6 data here : i.MX6Q PCIe EP/RC Validation System 

Can I assume the IMX8 is at least as fast ?

I want to get multiple stream low latency video from an FPGA into the IMX8 Mini for encoding .  Since the FPGA I have (Artix)  has SERDES, this is easier than using the CSI MIPI input. ...  If I use the MIPI CSI, I need to interleave/multiplex the video and in the IMX8, deinterlave, demux into separate memory regions for encoding the different video streams.

Target bit rate is 1.72Gbps , 216 Mbytes/sec. after 10/8 encoding for GEN1, that would be 2.16 Gbps, which is within the lane rate. The FPGA can do GEN2, also... but I guess the IMX8 DMA is the limit.

many thanks for any info.

glen english

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
6 Replies

jishin42
Contributor III
0 Kudos

glen1
Contributor I

Dear Yuri

thank you very much for finding that information for me.

That's very fast. 

As usual, throughput on the internal bus will depend on how much else is going on inside the cpu.

best regards

jishin42
Contributor III

Hello Glen, Yuri,

Alongside the typical bandwidth results, can you confirm that you were able to turn the IMX8 into a PCI EndPoint, and keep your FPGA as a Root Complex ?

I plan on connecting a powerful CPU to an IMX8 by PCI express, maybe not with the IMX8M mini, but with a Toradex Apalis.

It seems like somebody tried to do so 2 months ago : Apalis iMX8QM PCIe endpoint mode - Toradex Community 

The ARM CPUs inside the IMX will be kept as low power as possible (no PCIe transfers).

Best regards

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

The  (real) PCIe performance is application dependent and we have not specially tested it. 

I will send You some (unofficial) results from customers.

Have a great day,

Yuri.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:

- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored

Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

barswi
Contributor I

Hello,

I am looking for PCIe performance results too. Pleas send mi those results.

I want to connect FPGA (Artix) 1G Ethernet MAC to IMX8M Quad using PCIe.

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

barswi 

Hello,

Please create separate request 

Support | NXP 

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos