How to start with i.MX 8M Mini Evaluation Kit

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start with i.MX 8M Mini Evaluation Kit

SYakubson
Contributor II

Hello! Resently bought i.MX 8M Mini Evaluation Kit with camera and HDMI. I so many work with linux and RPi, but have many trouble with this system. I want to make system, which shoot video, make image processing and show processed image on display via HDMI. I instal linux image from NXP, but it have only stripped down terminal. I understand correctly that i need install Vivante and MSUX SDK to code and boot programm to i.MX8 kit? If yes, from what i can start? I found many manuals, but they not give fully information how to start work and. For example i cannot open configuration for i.mx 8 from nxp site in MSUX SDK. 
From what start to work with kit?

P.S. Sorry for my english

0 Kudos
5 Replies

khang_letruong
Senior Contributor III

Hi @SYakubson ,

I found following hand-on workshop dedicated to iMX8M Mini : https://community.nxp.com/t5/Technology-Days-Training/Hands-On-Workshop-Fast-Track-Your-Product-Deve...

Hope that help!
K.

0 Kudos

SYakubson
Contributor II

Thanks, but in this guide told nothing about development applications
I install linux from NXP and all what i have is terminal what do this it?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

khang_letruong
Senior Contributor III

Hi @SYakubson ,

There's different ways to develop custom application running on the board.

Simplest way is cross-compiling your application on host PC making use of the Yocto SDK then transfer the binary to the board for execution. In order to install the SDK (including toolchain, libraries, ...) for cross-compiling, you will need to bitbake the image from scratch and then populate the SDK following instruction in the i.MX_Yocto_Project_User's_Guide.pdf found in every BSP's release documentation. There's good wiki for building and installing the Yocto SDK here : https://variwiki.com/index.php?title=Yocto_Toolchain_installation&release=RELEASE_SUMO_V1.6_DART-MX8...

More sophisticated way would be creating a Yocto based package (recipes, layers, ...) for your application then integrate it into the bitbaking system of Yocto/OpenEmbededed.

Or, you could find another way to compile natively your application on board with other flavors of distribution running on your iMX8M Mini such as Ubuntu/Debian (I don't know if it is possible to do that within the official Yocto Zeus distribution provided by NXP since I've never tried) if you are not hurry and your system have enough memory as well as you don't mind killing your SD card or eMMC after a while.

Regards,

K.

0 Kudos

SYakubson
Contributor II

@Bio_TICFSL this?

SYakubson_0-1634304557497.png

0 Kudos

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello SYakubson,

The i.MX8MMini has everything to start your processing camera trough hdmi you don't need to download anything except for the demo image, you can download it from:

https://www.nxp.com/design/software/embedded-software/i-mx-software/embedded-linux-for-i-mx-applicat...

Regards

0 Kudos