cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set imx6 camera resolution with gstreamer

Jump to solution
hkh
Contributor II

I am using a Nitrogen6x development board with a Solo processor and a 5MP MIPI camera. I can capture video and JPEG frames using gst-launch. I can change the camera resolution using "capture-mode" option, but the resolutions are limited.

How do I expand the capture-mode options (or is there another way of setting the camera output resolution)? For example, how can I capture a 5MP frame?

Is there any limit to the frame resolution that can be captured from a MIPI camera? I understand at some point the frame rate drops as the resolution increases, and some of that has to do with MIPI lanes/speed and possibly VPU capability. But, is there anything that prevents receiving 5MP frames? How about 8 or 12MP frames (with different MIPI cameras, of course)?

I am using Yocto Dora build.

CPU: IMX6 Solo

Board: Nitrogen6x from Boundardevices

Camera: 5MP MIPI camera from Boundarydevices

Labels (3)
1 Solution
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

One of restrictions concerns with the fact, that Freescale GStreamer-Based Plug-Ins are provided in binary form,

sources are not available because of third party agreements. This means, in particular, customers cannot add more

resolution modes.  Please refer to multimedia (codec) release notes for details of supported modes.

Another restriction may relate to hardware options, for example, the IPU I.MX6 IPU does not support rotation (limitation

of IC module) above 1024x1024 ; so one needs to split image on smaller areas and rotate them, after that combine to whole

image.

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

One of restrictions concerns with the fact, that Freescale GStreamer-Based Plug-Ins are provided in binary form,

sources are not available because of third party agreements. This means, in particular, customers cannot add more

resolution modes.  Please refer to multimedia (codec) release notes for details of supported modes.

Another restriction may relate to hardware options, for example, the IPU I.MX6 IPU does not support rotation (limitation

of IC module) above 1024x1024 ; so one needs to split image on smaller areas and rotate them, after that combine to whole

image.

Have a great day,
Yuri

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
hkh
Contributor II

Hello Yuri,

I reviewed the release notes and as far as I can tell nothing over 1080 resolution is supported with gstreamer... I am assuming this is a tool and not a processor limitation. If so, I should be able to develop my own application to handle capturing video or pictures at higher/different resolutions. Is that the case? If so, can you point me in the right direction? Is there any tutorial and/or sample application available from Freescale that shows how to capture and manipulate images from camera?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

On my SDP board with L3.0.35.4.1.0 :

# gst-inspect mfw_v4lsrc

capture-mode        : set the capture mode of camera, please check the bsp release notes to decide which value can be applied,

for example ov5460:

ov5640_mode_VGA_640_480 = 0,

ov5640_mode_QVGA_320_240 = 1,

ov5640_mode_NTSC_720_480 = 2,

ov5640_mode_PAL_720_576 = 3,

ov5640_mode_720P_1280_720 = 4,

ov5640_mode_1080P_1920_1080 = 5

So, capture-mode = 5 is for 1080P

0 Kudos