cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable FlexCAN on MarS Board with i.MX6 Dual

simoneladwig
Contributor I

Hello Community,

I'm usually not the kind of person, posting questions on the Internet, but this MarS Board is really driving me crazy.

I'm a total noob in compiling and patching kernels. I just did my first kernel compiling a few days ago.

But I really need to enable the FlexCAN on the MarS Board.

I have the following problems with the MarS Board since day one:

- can't plug keyboard in it, it wont't recognize my Logitech wireless Mouse and Keyboard set and I don't have another one, it only recognizes my solo wireless mouse but then I can't type anything, of course

- so i ssh into the board to control it remote

I tried following:

- I tried the mainline stable kernel 4.7.3 and the MarS Board Kernel from here Dropbox - source_SVN2642 (3.0.35) and imx freescale kernels linux-2.6-imx.git - Freescale i.MX Linux Tree  in different versions. But everytime I install them on the board, the shell says ok and I reboot, but it stucks in black screen and I have to press the reboot button or cut the power. When I after unplugging use uname -a i have the same kernel as ever.

- I only need to enable CAN, so I tried recompiled the existing kernel from here Dropbox - source_SVN2642 with the menuconfig options for FlexCAN, but of course the same as above

I don't know anything about:

- yocto or builtroot or ....

- i hate the linaro ubuntu on it, but I don't know how to build my own OS for it, I would prefer something smaller, no need for gui

So, I'm sorry for the extraordinary long post. But I'm a girl in need.

I would appreciate any help.

I actually don't know what to do anymore...what am I missing???

Bye, Simone

0 Kudos
1 Reply

simoneladwig
Contributor I

OK: Follow-up:

I finally found the out about my first problem. Because I'm not using yocto or MFG Tool to produce my SD card I did it all wrong. It is important, where the uImage is stored. Of course it is, cold've thought of that myself. (source: The MarS DIY Platform for Around $100 (Without Screen) | Linux.com | The source for Linux informatio... )

dd if=<path to > uImage of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 seek=2048 conv=fsync

And then the other Problem "solved": oddly only with Kernel 3.0.15 my Keyboard is working. (GitHub - embest-tech/linux-imx at embest_imx_3.0.15_12.04.01 )

So now, I can load whatever kernel I want to, EXCEPT: it's after the device tree support got into mainline. Because then my u-Boot won't load because it doesn't load the flattend device tree. BUT:  I also managed to get through that and update my u-Boot so I had the u-Boot running from v2016.07 (source: Update U Boot in SPI Flash · FrankBau/meta-marsboard-bsp Wiki · GitHub ) but it wasn't loading the Kernel v4.7.3 because some missing bootargs. NEXT BUT: I couldn't change anthing because Bootloader only rambled on something like this:

FEC Waiting for PHY auto negotiation to complete......... TIMEOUT !

and I couldn't write anything to it.

So I would still welcome any help I can get.

I actually don't care for which version or Kernel I would go. I only want the FlexCAN up and running.

0 Kudos