Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deploy image + u-boot + devicetree + rootfs

Jump to solution
asd94005
Contributor II

Hi :),

I work on the imx8mqevk. I would like to know how to deploy an image with the bootloader (SDCard) on this evaluation board.

I created a Yocto image:

- I use the remote directory: https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-manifest -b imx-linux-zeus -m imx-5.4.70-2.3.9.xml
- I then use bitbake "imx-image-multimedia"

I succeeded create the .wic image (directory /tmp/deploy/images). There are also the files (dtb , rootfs and u-boot).

The problem is that I don't know how to deploy my image on the EVK card. I did a first try using Etcher, I flashed the .wic image on an SD card only but the card does not boot. Do you have any idea .

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
asd94005
Contributor II

Hello,

It's working with the last version. I was supplying my board with usbc connector ( maybe some drivers were disable).

I supply now with the jack connector

Thank you

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
asd94005
Contributor II

Finally, i used dd command. The .wic image is deployed on the sd card. but it's still not working when i put the sd card on the imx8mqevk board ( We can see the logo NXP & U-boot revision during a quick moment but after nothing).

So I decided to use the .wic on the LF_v5.15.32-2.0.0_images_IMX8MQEVK (nxp website) in order to try this image but it still the same problem :'( on my evaluation board. 

0 Kudos
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

When you try to boot does it output something in the Serial COM?
Could you share the full name of the .wic image that you are using for your test?
Could you share both the revision of your EVK and if possible the dip switch configuration you have set?

Best regards,
Aldo.

0 Kudos
asd94005
Contributor II

Hi,

When you try to boot does it output something in the Serial COM?
I didn't check it yet. I will check it

Could you share the full name of the .wic image that you are using for your test?
for the LF_v5.15.32-2.0.0 : imx-image-full-imx8mqevk.wic

Could you share both the revision of your EVK and if possible the dip switch configuration you have set?
DIP Switch : 1100 & Rev : 170-38820 REV A

Otherwise, i try something else :

When i use the file LF_v5.15.32-2.0.0 (nxp website) : imx-image-full-imx8mqevk.wic --> it's doesn't boot & nothing on my screen ( I don't know why yet)

When i use the file L4.19.35_1.1.0 (nxp website) : imx-image-full-imx8mqevk.sdcard --> it's working ( boot + i have the background on my screen Wayland)

I don't know why the old version of yocto works on my machine and new version does not work. Did you have any ideas ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I just tried on my side with prebuilt image from website and it is working correctly, I have done it with DD command and with UUU I can see boot log finish.

would it be possible to take a pic of both dip switches and share it?

Best regards,
Aldo.

0 Kudos
asd94005
Contributor II

0 Kudos
asd94005
Contributor II

Hello,

It's working with the last version. I was supplying my board with usbc connector ( maybe some drivers were disable).

I supply now with the jack connector

Thank you

0 Kudos
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Could you let me know which distro and machine you used for your Yocto compilation?
From the steps you have shared it looks correct, you may try using DD as well in your Linux host PC.

$ sudo dd if=<image name>.wic of=/dev/sdx bs=1M && sync

Best regards,
Aldo.

asd94005
Contributor II

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

i used this command

DISTRO = fsl-imx-wayland MACHINE=imx8mqevk source imx-setup-release.sh -b bld-wayland

I will try about the command dd.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
vipulj
Contributor I

I am observing the same issue. I am also not able to boot the Image from the SD Card. 

I tried downloading image from NPX website and that is also having issue.

0 Kudos