Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to boot i.MX6S from NOR directly.

Jump to solution
satoshishimoda
Senior Contributor I

Hi community,

I want to boot i.MX6S from NOR flash, and don't want to copy the data to DDR when booting.

In other words, I want to boot i.MX6S from NOR flash directly.

( I will say this boot method "NOR direct boot")

Please see chapter 8.5.1.1 in IMX6SDLRM Rev.1, and please see my questions as below.

[Q1]

Chapter 8.5.1.1 says "The ROM reads Image Vector Table and Boot Data structures to determine if the image can be executed directly from EIM address space or should be copied to other memory".

Could you let me know how to use "the image can be executed directly from EIM address space"?

Should I prepare a Image Vector Table and Boot Data structures to NOR direct boot?

[Q2]

Could you let me know how describe the Image Vector Table and Boot Data for NOR direct boot?

Best Regards,

Satoshi Shimoda

Labels (4)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You are right, it is needed to prepare Image Vector Table and Boot Data structures
to NOR direct boot, where  EIM address space is configured for all address fields.

Base address of parallel (EIM) NOR (0x0800_0000) should  be used as base address

of an OS bootloader. IVT should be configured for NOR (section 8.6.1 “Image Vector Table
and Boot Data” and  Table 8-24 “Image Vector Table Offset and Initial Load Region Size”
of the i.MX6 SDL RM) and all address items of the IVT (entry, dcd, bootdat) should
address the EIM space.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You are right, it is needed to prepare Image Vector Table and Boot Data structures
to NOR direct boot, where  EIM address space is configured for all address fields.

Base address of parallel (EIM) NOR (0x0800_0000) should  be used as base address

of an OS bootloader. IVT should be configured for NOR (section 8.6.1 “Image Vector Table
and Boot Data” and  Table 8-24 “Image Vector Table Offset and Initial Load Region Size”
of the i.MX6 SDL RM) and all address items of the IVT (entry, dcd, bootdat) should
address the EIM space.

0 Kudos