Has anyone ever used the USB interface as a USB CDCEther (Communications Device Class Ethernet)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone ever used the USB interface as a USB CDCEther (Communications Device Class Ethernet)

billdonahue
Contributor I

Has anyone ever used the USB interface as a USB CDCEther (Communications Device Class Ethernet)?

I am looking for help on the driver support or how to set up the USB on the i.MX6 Rex to support Ethernet messages over USB

Thanks,

Bill

Labels (6)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Bill

for testing USB CDCEther one can look at imx-test, mxc_usb_test

http://repository.timesys.com/buildsources/i/imx-test/imx-test-3.14.28-1.0.0/

description is given in ..doc/042-Peripheral-Mode-Class-Test.txt

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

andrewdyer
Contributor III

We use the g_multi gadget with the RNDIS option (not CDC) under Yocto 3.10.17 kernel.   In general the steps are

configure a kernel with IP networking and all the prerequisites for USB gadget, and enable the g_multi kernel module.

Write a startup script to load the kernel module at runtime, configure the networking on linux for the usb0 interface (for us this is in /etc/network/interfaces), and run ifup to bring up the network interface.

Attach the USB cable

configure the host USB drivers

configure the host networking

Linux just works as a usb host, windows requires using an .inf file to get all of the functions recognized.  The inf files are in the kernel source tree under Documentation/usb/*.inf.

I have noticed windows XP gets confused and doesn't seem to remove the network interface if you disconnect with some sessions still running.  The only way I know to get it back is a hard reboot - It doesn't allow reconnection and doesn't let the machine reboot cleanly.  Win7 doesn't seem to have the same problem.

0 Kudos