Fast path from MIPI CSI to HDMI using MCIMX8M-EVK?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast path from MIPI CSI to HDMI using MCIMX8M-EVK?

jstewart1
Contributor II

I'm trying to determine if the i.MX 8MQ is suitable for our needs which involve streaming video from two MIPI CSI cameras to an HDMI output.  The MCIMX8M-EVK evaluation kit seems to suit this purpose nicely, with dual CSI inputs and "out of the box" HDMI output (at least with the default pre-built Android software). There is also an available MIPI-CSI camera module from NXP (MINISASOCSI). 

However, I have downloaded the sample code for the EVK and I don't see any CSI example code (perhaps I overlooked it or it is a separate download).  Also, it seems this processor/board is not supported by MCUXpresso, so I will have to either build a development environment around ARM GCC or purchase IAR Embedded Workbench.

Questions:

• Is there example code to go from MIPI-CSI to HDMI with the MCIMX8M-EVK?  If so, where? 
  • Is there a better evaluation kit option from NXP for this purpose?  (Perhaps one that is supported by MCUXpresso.)

Thanks,

Jon

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi John

there is MCUXpresso ("SDK 2.3 for i.MX 8MQuad GA") for i.MX8M EVK on below link,

but seems such examples are available only in linux. Except EVK there are no other i.MX8M

NXP reference designs.

Linux example codes are described in linux documentation package ("Linux L4.9.51 8MQuad GA Documentation")

i.MX Software|NXP 

May be useful to look on third party designs

Nitrogen8M - An NXP i.MX8 M Single Board Computer Platform 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

jstewart1
Contributor II

Igor,

I think I've chased that link before:

SDK23forIMX screen cap.PNG

The link does NOT go directly to the file I was never able to find that file. I can eventually get a link that indicates "Build MCUXpresso SDK":

NXP build mcuxpresso.PNG

If you click on the link, the only options are for GCC ARM and IAR Embedded Workbench, not for MCUXpresso IDE [edit, originally wrote MCUXpresso SDK]:

NXP build mcuxpresso GCC or IAR.PNG

If the referenced file "SDK 2.3 for i.MX 8MQuad GA." does exist, can you provide a direct link to it?

Thanks,

Jon

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jon

one can look at sect.4 Run a demo application using IAR, sect.5 Run a demo using ARM® GCC

attached Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK document from this package.

I am afraid direct link is not available as package is built

when customer press "Download SDK" button.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

jstewart1
Contributor II

Igor,

Thank you for your reply.  The MCUXpresso naming convention is confusing as is some of the text on the website.  The natural assumption is that the MCUXpresso SDK would work with the MCUXpresso IDE and I thought you were trying to tell me that there is a MCUXpresso SDK for this part that works with the MCUXpresso IDE.  I understand now you were referring me to the MCUXpresso SDK for use with the ARM GCC compiler or with IAR Embedded Workbench.  I had already downloaded the SDK for this EVK on the ARM GCC compiler (although the filename I received is "SDK_2.3.0_EVK-MIMX8MQ.zip").

Back to my original questions:

• Is there example code to go from MIPI-CSI to HDMI with the MCIMX8M-EVK?  If so, where? (i.e., what specific example code within the SDK as I don't see that any of the examples specifically list this capability.  However, since NXP specifically sells a CSI camera board just for this EVK, I assume there must be example code somewhere.)

Thanks,

Jon

0 Kudos

jstewart1
Contributor II

I think I found a partial answer to my question in this application note:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN12187.pdf 

[It is perplexing why this application note is NOT linked from the product page it is about: MINISASTOCSI Product Information|NXP .  You might contact your webmaster to link this important application note to the product page.]

0 Kudos