cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display rotation issues on iMX7D and Android 7.1.2

robertosartori
Contributor III

Hi,

I've encountered a couple of issues while working with Android 7.1.2 (N7.1.2_2.0.0 BSP) with different boards based on the iMX7D SoC, including the i.MX 7Dual SABRE Board with the demo binary images from NXP.

With the SABRE I'm using an HDMI display that works natively on Android in landscape.

The first issue regards the video playback.

While playing a video with a rotated display, the video view is black. This behaviour is common among all the video players that I tried. With the display that I'm using and with the SABRE this means that every video played in portrait is shown completely black. This can be achieve forcing the display rotation with ADB, or using an app that works in portrait.

The second issue is that forcing the orientation of the display differently than the default one causes a notable loss of performance: the UI lags a lot, even the launcher. That's the case setting the SABRE to work in portrait, and I think it could cause also the black video problem of the first issue.

These problems are not present using Android 7.1.1 (N7.1.1_1.0.0 BSP), while I have checked that both can be reproduce on Android 8.0.0 (O8.0.0_1.0.0 BSP) on the i.MX 7Dual SABRE Board.

Anyone noticed\solved the same issues?

Thanks,

Roberto

Labels (4)
9 Replies

zaferkaya
Contributor I

Please see GitHub - kayazafer/imx7dAndroidPXP 

and iMX7D ANDROID 7 : PXP rotation issue is solved - YouTube 

I hope this will help those struggling with this problem

0 Kudos

diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Brian,

Please try applying the attached patch. This patch was confirmed that can solve the problem.

Best Regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos

robertosartori
Contributor III

Hi Diego,

do you have any news about this?

Thanks,

Roberto

0 Kudos

cbg1
Contributor II

Hello Diego,

Got it and many thanks.

Regards,

Brian

0 Kudos

robertosartori
Contributor III

Hi Diego,

The patch attached is already included in Android 7.1.2 (N7.1.2_2.0.0 BSP): android-imx/device/fsl - Android i.MX Device 

Like I said in the first post I have encountered these rotation issues with the N7.1.2_2.0.0 BSP, and the patch is already applied here.

Can you please double check that this patch is the correct one?

Best Regards,

Roberto

0 Kudos

cbg1
Contributor II

Hi Diego,

How to fix this issues.

Thanks,

Brian

diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Let me verify with my board if I can reproduce your issue. I will notify you as soon as I have an answer.

Best Regards,

Diego.

0 Kudos

diegoadrian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Effectively, there is a problem reproducing videos in portrait mode. Probably will be the PXP driver. However, I am not completely sure if this could be the main reason. Please let me verify internally.

Best regards,

Diego.

robertosartori
Contributor III

Thanks Diego.

I've also noticed a big difference in the driver from the 4.1 Kernel to the 4.9 Kernel (Android 7.1.1 -> Android 7.1.2).

In addition to that, I've noticed that from Android 7.1.1 to Android 7.1.2 there are some different properties and libraries on the SABRE7:

android-imx/device/fsl - Android i.MX Device 

android-imx/device/fsl - Android i.MX Device 

Regards,

Roberto

0 Kudos