Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between i.MX8DXL and its Solo-Core-Variant

Jump to solution
steffendoster
Contributor IV

Hi everyone,

I have a working custom i.MX8DXL-Board with 512MB RAM up and running. Everything looks fine. Now I wanted to use its little Solo-Core-Brother too.

I thought, it <<might>> be as easy as with the i.MX6DL and the i.MX6Solo, where the Dual-Core-U-Boot and -Devicetree is also suitable for the i.MX6Solo. (Linux was a little sad about not finding the second core, but booted with no problems)

But on i.MX8DXL this seems to not be the case.

Can anyone point me the direction what to check? Is it perhaps ATF or SCU? Is there a special firmware I have to use? (All I see is DXL-Firmware, for example: mx8dxlb0-ahab-container.img)

@igorpadykov: Yes, I know you don't support this, and yes, I know where the documentation is.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
steffendoster
Contributor IV

I GOT IT!

It was not an issue with the processor itself. It was a RAM misconfiguration:
I had the RAM Data-Lines in the RAM-Pin-Config for the NXP-Eval-Board. But that is not our configuration, we have 0 to 0, 1 to 1 and so on.
Suprisingly the NXP-Configuration also worked for our Board, as long it had a 1GB RAM.But with the change from DXL to SXL we also changed RAM from 1GB to 512MB, and the 512MB RAM didn't work with the wrong RAM-Config.
I corrected the RAM-Pin-Config and Tadaaaaa! It worked!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
steffendoster
Contributor IV

I GOT IT!

It was not an issue with the processor itself. It was a RAM misconfiguration:
I had the RAM Data-Lines in the RAM-Pin-Config for the NXP-Eval-Board. But that is not our configuration, we have 0 to 0, 1 to 1 and so on.
Suprisingly the NXP-Configuration also worked for our Board, as long it had a 1GB RAM.But with the change from DXL to SXL we also changed RAM from 1GB to 512MB, and the 512MB RAM didn't work with the wrong RAM-Config.
I corrected the RAM-Pin-Config and Tadaaaaa! It worked!

0 Kudos
steffendoster
Contributor IV

As I wrote, I have an already working board with an i.MX8DXL on it. Everything works fine. It is started be U-Boot and then loads the Linux-Kernel with the given Devicetree and even Debian runs smoothly with every peripherie on the Board.

Now, I only want to port it to an i.MX8SX (or SL? or SX? it reads: MIMX8SL1 CVNFZAB). I thought (perhaps my failure), that I could bring it up with my DXL-BSP. But that doesn't work. It does exactly - nothing.

So my question is: what is the difference between the two processors which prevent the Solo-Core from booting.

0 Kudos
joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

not sure what you need check? do you need uboot image for imx6dl/6s?  or you need to know where is the location of uboot image after you build the board? if you mean build the imx6 uboot image, you can find the chapter 3 Porting U-Boot of enclosed file, imx6dl is not complicated as imx8dxl

0 Kudos
steffendoster
Contributor IV

I'm sorry, I replied to your post, but with the wrong "Reply"-Button.

I already know the Porting Guide, but only the i.MX8DXL is mentioned there. I don't see a i.MX8SXL/SL/SX or whatever.

So, i have a working MIMX8DL1AVNFZAB, but the U-Boot doesn't work with MIMX8SL1CVNFZAB.

0 Kudos