Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect to RT1170-EVK target from Ubuntu 16 host

Jump to solution
yfliu
Contributor IV

Dear support,

are there any guide about connecting to the Rt1170 EVK via the on-board USB debug port from Ubuntu 16.04 host?

I am following the "Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK for MIMXRT1170-EVK" manual, especially section 6 "run a demo using ARM GCC". However, I don't have JLink debugger hardware and I am wondering if something needs be done on Ubuntu side before JLink tools can connect to the target?

Regards,

Yanfeng

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
1) I am wondering how can use JLink to access the board?
-- Please follow the attachment to update the Jlink firmware of the on-board debugger, and the link is below.

Getting Started with the i.MX RT1170 Evaluation Kit | NXP Semiconductors
Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
1) I am wondering how can use JLink to access the board?
-- Please follow the attachment to update the Jlink firmware of the on-board debugger, and the link is below.

Getting Started with the i.MX RT1170 Evaluation Kit | NXP Semiconductors
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
yfliu
Contributor IV

Jeremy,

Thanks for sharing the link. I followed it and installed lpcsrypt-2.1.2 package on Ubuntu and tried the "program_JLink" script. However, I got errors like "No bootable LPCScrypt target found" when running the script while a shortcut was placed for pins of header J22.

It seems that I failed to make the device enter DFU boot state as after power on, I can see minicom console still shows "hello world!" string.

how to firmly enter "DFU boot state"?

Regards,

Yanfeng

0 Kudos
yfliu
Contributor IV

Dear Jeremy,

I happened to find this AN13206.pdf application notes but it uses RT1060-EVK as sample. May I ask:

• If RT1170-EVK supports the same feature?
  • I noticed that I did shortcut J22 but didn't power on my device via USB probe... could this be the cause of not entering the DFU mode?

Regards,

yanfeng

0 Kudos
yfliu
Contributor IV

Jeremy,

I guess that I can enter the DFU mode with RT1170-EVK by a) shortcut J22 and b) unplug external power J43.  Last week I only shortcut J22 and didn't unplug J43.

After reading more application notes, it seems that the default firmware "OpenSDA Daplink" might be okay for me if it supports GDB debugging from Ubuntu command line.

Regards,

Yanfeng

yfliu
Contributor IV

Just want update that after seeing the readme in "demo_apps/hello_world" example, I can download the hello_world app to the USB storage device from Linux and then from minicom I can see "hello world!".

All these are not related to JLink, I am wondering how can to use JLink to access the board?

0 Kudos
yfliu
Contributor IV

The "getting started" guide says that "OpenSDA interface on your board is programmed with the J-Link OpenSDA firmware"...

Then I checked https://www.segger.com/downloads/jlink#JLinkOpenSDAGenericFirmwares  and tried the "generic OpenSDA firmware 3.2" and also firmware for RT1050, but none of them work.

Does this mean that we can't use SEGGER tools with the on-board debug port?

Regards,

Yanfeng

0 Kudos