3.3V LDO unstable in few custom i.MX25 boards.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3.3V LDO unstable in few custom i.MX25 boards.

Jump to solution
torus1000
Contributor V

Hi,

The following power-up sequence is recommended for i.MX25.

1. Assert power on reset (POR).

2. Turn on digital logic domain and I/O power supplies VDDn and NVCCx.

3. Turn on all other analog power supplies

4. Negate the POR signal

So our board designed as following.

(0) POR=L (1) LDO_1.2V on (2) LDO_3.3V on (3) LDO_1.8V on (4) POR release

Most boards(90%) started up with no problem and stable but rest of boards(10%) looked unstable.

Please see attached waveforms.

2010727_waveform00.png

LDO_1.2V (ch1: yellow) rise first then LDO_3.3V (ch2: cyan) rise next but oscillation waveform observed.

(Additionally saying, this oscillation seems suppressed if add delay to the enable pin of LDO_3.3V.)

Why this type of oscillation happened in few specific boards?

How can I fix it? Is there any hardware design guide documents?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

According to the oscilloscope curves you've provided, seems that the digital I/O supply voltage (3.3V) starts its ramp-up before the core supply voltage (1.2V) becomes stable that causes the current leakage and latch-up effect between the power domains. To eliminate the effect, try to add more delay between 1.2V and 3.3V supplies ramp-up start.

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

According to the oscilloscope curves you've provided, seems that the digital I/O supply voltage (3.3V) starts its ramp-up before the core supply voltage (1.2V) becomes stable that causes the current leakage and latch-up effect between the power domains. To eliminate the effect, try to add more delay between 1.2V and 3.3V supplies ramp-up start.

Have a great day,
Artur

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos